‘Breaking Dawn’ a snore

Like many out there, I am not a fan of the “Twilight” series.­ I didn’t read the books, but have seen most of the movies.­ I tried to give it a chance, but just couldn’t get into it. I went into the latest installment, “Breaking Dawn” with an open mind, but left annoyed and bored.­ I can safely say that “Breaking Dawn” is a chick flick.

The movie opens with the Cullen family scrambling to prepare for the wedding between Edward (Robert Pattinson) and Bella (Kristen Stewart).­ It’s clear that both parties are nervous and excited.

The wedding ceremony goes off without a hitch, and the reception has some humorous moments as many guests make awkward, yet funny, toasts.­ Soon, the happy couple are off to their honeymoon.­ Bella’s dream of marrying her beloved has finally come true.

The happy couple’s wedding bliss is thrown off when Bella becomes pregnant during the honeymoon.­ Alarmed, they head back home.­ Edward’s father, Dr. Carlisle Cullen (Peter Facinelli), examines Bella and realizes Bella isn’t carrying a normal child.­ This child is actually a half-human, half-vampire hybrid that is putting Bella’s life in danger.

Her best friend, Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner), is worried for her safety, as he is in love with her.­ Bella’s life is placed in further jeopardy when a werewolf pack learns of her pregnancy.­ The werewolves had a treaty with the Cullens. But, the wolves see Bella’s unborn baby as a threat and decide it must be killed, so Jacob enters a shaky alliance with Edward to protect Bella.­ Will Bella be spared? And what will happen to Bella’s child?

This movie was so boring. This movie centers around the love story of Bella and Edward. But, the movie doesn’t seem interested in exploring the side stories.­ It was made clear that the last “Twilight” movie would be split into two seperate movies. That seems like an odd choice seeing how dull this first installment was. I understand that the wedding ceremony was an event that the fans were looking forward to since the movies first came out. But, the wedding ceremony could’ve easily been shortened.

The movie, which was close to two hours, has nothing that would justify splitting it into two parts. From what I’ve heard there is supposed to be a lot of action in the second installment. But, seeing as how boring the first installment is, I might not want to run the risk of being bored again. Yes, I’m a guy and not a Twilight fan, so that may be why I didn’t enjoy this movie, but come on, even Twilight fans can admit they got bored.

The director, Bill Condon, seemed to elaborate on scenes that weren’t that important. The wedding and the honeymoon ate up much of the screen time.­ I mean, for crying out loud, they actually played chess!­ Who plays chess on their honeymoon?­ True to the novel or not, it could’ve been skipped.

And the soundtrack was so annoying.­ Every two minutes another shrill pop song would play. And half the time, the volume of the song was so loud you couldn’t hear the dialogue between the characters.

If Condon is going to direct the second installment, he needs to work overtime to make it worth while.­ Like the saying goes, “Fool me once, shame on you.­ Fool me twice shame on me.”­ I tried to care about Bella and Edward this time. If something cool doesn’t happen in the second part, I’m going to be annoyed and angry.

$100
$500

$100
$500

JanessaDec 9, 2011 at 11:54 pm

It’s boring to you because you’re not into the books or the franchise — no big deal, everyone has their opinions. But I wouldn’t go as far as to bash the movie as “so boring” simply because you’re not a fan. There’s a reason why the books, the movies and the whole franchise has made millions. I’m not just saying this because I’m a woman, but because I know a great deal of men who don’t consider the films terrible. I don’t particularly like football or basketball season, but I withstand it because it’s part of pop culture — just like the Twilight Saga, if you want to admit it or not. On a side note, I’m glad you gave the movie a chance.

California disability lawyerDec 5, 2011 at 8:40 am

Personally, I’m not into this Twilight bandwagon, but it brings me with such delight that you’re on the same page as me. With the review you’ve made about the 1st of 2 movies of “Breaking Dawn”, if I was just a movie buff I would not consider watching it. The points you’ve made regarding the film, especially the wedding and the honeymoon part, made me realize that “okay, it is indeed boring”.

• G

Gopal IyerNov 28, 2011 at 7:38 am

I feel the same way about Breaking Dawn. I had a hard time watching it. It felt like the movie will never end. Very boring