Pat Hill calls for student support

With the fifth-ranked Boise State Broncos running down the ramp onto Jim Sweeney Field on Friday, Fresno State head coach Pat Hill is rallying Bulldog students to support his team in hopes of stopping the stampede in the biggest game of the season.

The fans didn’t really show up in the first home game of the season against North Dakota as only 27,542 Bulldog fans showed up at Bulldog Stadium in a stadium that can seat 41,031 people.

In the Mississippi game, more of the Bulldog faithful showed up as 32,063 fans came to watch the first Southeastern Conference team to ever come to Bulldog Stadium. Hill talked about the fans’ support in the first two games on Jim Sweeney Field.

“The students have been great for our two home games,” said the Fu Manchu at Monday’s practice. “I really appreciate our students. That’s why you go to this university. That’s why you pick a Fresno State over a Cal State Bakersfield or a Cal State Stanislaus or those kinds of schools because it’s got major college football.”

But Hill isn’t the only one grateful for student support. Sophomore quarterback Derek Carr appreciates the support from their classmates.

“When this place is loud it really gets us going. I expect to have a lot of fans here and it should be a good game,” said Carr. “It means the world to us, when this place is loud.”

Carr’s play so far this season should have the fans wanting to watch the air show as he is completing 61 percent of his passes for 1,291 yards with ten touchdowns. Another player that is worth the price of admission is junior running back Robbie Rouse, who agrees that the students will be needed for today’s test against Boise State.

“We always need a great crowd turnout no matter who we’re playing, but this a great week for our crowd to help us against Boise,” Rouse said.

With the rally cry from players and coaches, former football player and current student Kenneth Borg has started a movement of his own. Borg is the owner of the new screen printing company on campus, Dog Prints, and created a last-minute themed t-shirt for the Friday nonconference game.

The new T-shirt can be seen worn throughout campus and even on students’ facebook pages, which are pumped for Friday’s big game. Dog Prints sold half of its inventory by Monday, alone.

“I felt like this shirt was something that could bring the students together,” Borg said.

Although flirting with a line of inappropriateness, the shirts are a way for students to display school pride and also address the rivalry between Fresno State and Boise State.

And that’s just what Borg has done as student ticket sales have increased according to Paul Ladwig, the senior associate athletics director for external relations for Fresno State.

Ladwig said that sales have been “brisk and steady throughout the week.” For those still wanting tickets, the game has not sold out as of Thursday. An automated voice message from the Bulldog Ticket Office said that student tickets have yet to sell out as of 1 p.m. today.

As for Rouse, he wants a packed house welcoming the team down the ramp into Bulldog Stadium on Friday. Hill is also confident the Red Wave will show up in full force for the Bulldogs as they hope to ­do something they haven’t accomplished in many years.

“I’d like to see 5,000 to 6,000 [students] here Friday night, because I think it’s for the students,” Hill said. “It’s a school team and it’s just like being a part of it. Our student support has been awesome and I’d like to see even more come enjoy the game.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

MichaelOct 9, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Sure! I’m down to support the travesty that took the field and get beat by 50 pts! Where do I sign up…