More robot fighting, less human drama

Who doesn’t love a good fight? And what could be more awesome than robots pounding each other into scrap metal?­ The new movie, “Real Steel,” has the promising premise of robots, controlled by humans, fight each other.­ After seeing this movie, I wanted to rush home and build my own fighting robot.

In 2020, robot fighting has become the new extreme sport.­ We as a society have spent so many years getting a thrill of humans beating each other to a bloody pulp.­ The human body can only take so much punishment.­ The public wants more violence that the human body can withstand.­ Thus, robots replace humans.­ They can dish out and take more punishment than humans.

Human boxers are now obsolete. One such boxer, Charlie Kenton (Hugh Jackman), once a promising prize fighter, is now reduced to traveling across the United States with his robot, Ambush, in hopes of earning money selling pictures to Ambush’s fans.­ Since falling from the spotlight, Charlie has become an alcoholic and a gambling addict.

His only friend is Bailey Tallet (Evangeline Lilly), the daughter of the man who trained Charlie.­ Bailey is the only person that actually cares for Charlie, no matter how often he seems to leave her hanging.

Charlie’s life is given an unexpected curve when he learns he has a son, Max (Dakota Goyo).­ Charlie is busy trying to find his next “get rich quick” scheme, so he hardly has time for a kid. Charlie and Max don’t like each other.­ They do manage to find a way to bond.

Max finds a robot named Atom. Max wants Atom to be the next fighter. Charlie warns Max that Atom is just a sparring robot, built to take a lot of punishment, but not built to fight.

Max refuses to give up and convinces Charlie to help him.

“Real Steel” does seem to offer something for every member of the audience.­ The kids and some adults will get a thrill of watching the robots fighting.­ There is also an element of drama that will satisfy drama fans.­ This movie has an unique way of showing the drama that happens in and outside of the boxing ring.

Hugh Jackman is given quite a challenge. He’s mostly known for his role as Wolverine in the “X-Men” movies.­ In “Real Steel,” Jackman has to take on a more human role. Jackman is great as a man who knows he might not be able to redeem himself, but he tries nonetheless.­ Dakota Goyo is outstanding as young Max.­ The kid’s positive outlook is contageous.­ Evangelline Lilly does service to her character who thankfully isn’t forced on the audience as a love interest, but rather a woman who cares about those who care about her.

Shawn Levy took an interesting approach here as director.­ He could’ve easily focused solely on the fighting aspect.­ He chose more to find a balance between the fighting and the emotions of the characters.­ “Real Steel” may not have as much action as you’d like, but that doesn’t mean you should leave it down for the count.

$100
$500

$100
$500

janiceOct 14, 2011 at 7:54 am

I as a mom of older children enjoyed this movie because it was not just boxing.My older teenage buys liked it because there was just enough boxing. My son stated it was probably one of the best movies he had ever seen but then of course he has not seen The Help.