Gamma Alpha Omega newest sorority on campus

Gamma Alpha Omega Sorority, Inc. is the newest sorority on campus.
Gamma Alpha Omega is a multicultural organization dedicated to
increasing the number of women with a college education.
Photo Courtesy of Gamma Alpha Omega Sorority Inc.

On a summer night a young lady had an idea to start something new at Fresno State.

Maira Enriquez, a communication and disorders student, is currently trying to establish a recognized chapter of Gamma Alpha Omega Sorority, Inc. (GAO) at Fresno State.

Enriquez, president of GAO, is very proud of what she and her other founding mothers have accomplished recently.

Gamma Alpha Omega Sorority, Inc. was founded in Tempe, Arizona on Jan. 25, 1993 at Arizona State University.

There are currently three chapters established in Arizona, and two chapters in California.

GAO is a Latina-founded multicultural organization that exists to increase the number of women with a college education and advanced degrees and to provide mentors for youth, women and under-represented communities.

“I wasn’t really into sororities. I knew what they were and what they were about, but nothing called my attention, at least the ones on campus didn’t for me,” Enriquez said.

An acquaintance of Enriquez asked her why she didn’t get involved with a sorority since she’s always participating and attending Greek social events.

Enriquez was later informed that other students had been trying to bring GAO to campus for the past seven years, but had failed to do so because there has not been much support from students to start the process of bringing the organization back to campus.

“I kept contact with a sister at the CSU Northridge chapter. I started reading about their philanthropy and what they were really about. I started looking at their website, pictures and contacting other universities and seeing if they were legit,” Enriquez said.

Their recruiting process was just word of mouth and most of the ladies in the organization that joined have known each other for some time now. They started with 33 ladies and now stand with 23, Enriquez added.

They are currently the only group of women establishing a chapter at Fresno State.

Crystal Reyes, a business student and historian for GAO, and founding mother is enthusiastic with the progress of their organization.

“I’ve always been interested in joining organizations, but since I started college I haven’t had the time to do so. When a close friend of mine told me about this amazing opportunity I couldn’t refuse to be a part of it,” Reyes said.

GAO enhances the individual leadership qualities in each member to provide a lifelong support system for sisters who live their lives by the pillars of honesty, integrity, leadership, scholarship and unity.

“The reason why I chose to join GAO is because of the pillars they go by for unity, integrity and honesty. I feel that by joining this sorority I will have many more opportunities in life, not only am I going to be a part of a long-lasting sisterhood, but we will become founding mothers,” Yesenia Marrujo, a criminology student and standards for GAO, said.

Marrujo is also pleased with progress she and her sisters have made with the organization.

GAO is an official interest group at Fresno State, but not a recognized chapter. It is now in the process of becoming a recognized chapter.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Josh GrijalvaOct 25, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Hi,
    I’m trying to reach out to your Gamma Alpha Omega sorority and couldn’t find their information online. I did run across this article you wrote about them and thought you could be of help.
    I’m writing on behalf of Summit Entertainment and their new movie, Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2. We wanted to try and put some promotional activity together with Gamma Alpha Omega. Any contact information would be appreciated.
    Thank you!