Fresno State wins WAC bout against Louisiana Tech, falls to New Mexico State

Sophomore Korrin Wild, seen here against New Mexico State, spikes the
ball, but the ‘Dogs would come up short, losing in straight sets.
Esteban Cortez / The Collegian

Fresno State has started off the season 8-9 and is in the midst of Western Athletic Conference play. The ‘Dogs will be on the road for their next match up with Hawaii.

The Fresno State volleyball team dominated Louisiana Tech, winning all three sets in Thursday’s game of Western Athletic Conference opponents at the Save Mart Center.

The Bulldogs held their first home WAC game of the season after being on a three-game road trip. Head coach Lauren Netherby-Sewell talked about her team’s recent trip away from Fresno State.

“We had a couple of good road wins and we’re looking forward to coming home,” Netherby-Sewell said. “We’ve improved at the things that we’ve been working on and that’s all I can ask for.”

The Bulldogs and Lady Techsters traded points early in the first set. With the score 17-15, the onslaught began with the ‘Dogs scoring the next six points. The Bulldogs would go on to finish the set 25-16.

The second set was equally impressive for Fresno State. The Bulldogs jumped out to an early 11-4 lead before collecting the next four points to put the set out of reach.­ They would again go on to win the set 25-16.

The Bulldogs cruised through the third set, going up 21-9 before Louisiana Tech put forth its last bit of fight, scoring four straight points, which were its last of the night. The ‘Dogs went on their own four-score attack ending the set as a well as the match. Sophomore Korrin Wild gave some thoughts on the ‘Dogs picking up the conference win.

“We played really well as a team and that’s why we got the ‘W,’” Wild, who leads the team with 200 digs on the season, said.

Wild had a team-high 15 kills to go along with her two aces to extend her mark of 84 kills on the season.

“I think the way we played tonight as a team, really built some confidence,” Wild said. “Tomorrow’s practice will be key as far as what we get accomplished going to New Mexico State.”

Fresno State was swept during Saturday’s home match against New Mexico State, 3-0.

Junior Barbara Alcantara collected an astounding 39 assists, bringing her season total to 440 in the WAC win over Louisiana Tech. She also got her fifth double-double of the season by adding 11 digs. Sophomore Lauren Albertson contributed 10 kills while senior Brianna Clarke and freshman Maci Murdock added eight and seven, respectively.

The Bulldogs came into the game after coming off a poor showing against Hawaii where they were swept during an Oct. 1 match.

The Bulldogs played only one game at home in the month of September, a 3-1 win over CSU Bakersfield. The Bulldogs are currently 3-3 at home and hold an 8-9 record overall.

Fresno State is now 3-2 in WAC play after its loss against the New Mexico State Aggies (15-4, 4-0). The Aggies swept the ‘Dogs in the three matches.

The ‘Dogs will look to right the ship in their next conference game against Utah State. The Aggies are 2-3 in WAC play and 7-11 overall. Netherby-Swell talked about the tough time they have had recently.

“We had a rough patch in the last week,” Netherby-Swell said. “We’ve really had to work out some things, but we’ve been doing it, it made a huge difference tonight we were communicating better.”