Fresno State Takes Back the Night

Fresno State ‘Takes Back the Night’

Women’s studies instructor Melissa Knight gave a keynote
speech in which she discussed different ways to identify
an abusive relationship.
Esteban Cortez / The Collegian

On Wednesday students and faculty gathered in the Free Speech Area for the 32nd annual Take Back the Night event, coordinated by the Women’s Alliance and the Women’s Resource Center.

The event was aimed at preventing violence against women and providing help for women who have been victim of domestic abuse.

“Tonight we are going to focus on the invisible violence because that lasts longer than the bruises,” Jenny Whyte, coordinator for the Women’s Resource Center, said.

The event, which took place from 5 to 9 p.m., consisted of various booths, speakers, a march through campus and a candlelight vigil.

The Center for Women and Culture, the Fresno State Women’s Studies department, Planned Parenthood, University Police and Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom informed the audience on domestic violence awareness and prevention.

The Center for Women and Culture reaches out to women, both survivors and witnesses, involved in domestic violence or sexual assault by hosting a peer-led support group every Wednesday from 4 to 5 p.m. More information about the support group can be found by calling (559) 278-4435.

The University Police Department was also present at the event and informed the audience on safety precautions when walking alone at night.

The Women’s Alliance club made posters for the event with signs such as “He loves me because he bought me a diamond ring,” “He loves when I wear my little black dress but only for him,” and “I used to have more friends, but now it’s just me and him.”

Students were asked to place a purple origami rose on the poster that best related to them or someone they knew. By the end of the night, some of the posters were covered in purple flowers.

The Domestic Violence Resource Center, dvrc-or.org, found that one in four women have experienced domestic violence in her lifetime.

Maria Tapia, a Fresno State liberal studies major and volunteer at the event, thinks that the event is important because “many students go through some kind of abuse and they might not know what to do in that kind of situation.”

To address these issues, Women’s Alliance, a club at the Women’s Resource Center; is aimed at promoting the empowerment of women.

Family Planning, Access, Care and Treatment, also known as Family PACT, were present. Family PACT provides services and information for women as well as men regarding birth control methods, family planning counseling, pregnancy testing, counseling and cancer screening.

“Domestic violence is probably one of the highest ranking problems in the Central Valley,” Hanan Ahmad, a Clovis Adult School student, said. “Women need to know what their options are.”

Ahmad, 23, attended the event with friends hoping to gain knowledge about addressing and ending domestic violence.

Speakers at the event informed attendees on warning signs of what to look for if you think someone may be in danger of domestic violence. Some of the absolute red flags are rough play, bragging about other violence and any other violence or severe aggression.

The Women’s Resource Center urged students to stand up and put an end to the violence and aggression that so many women deal with on a daily basis, to speak out and to “Take Back the Night.”