Fresno State overcomes 4th quarter deficit for the win

The ‘Dogs picked up their second win of the season in Western
Athletic Conference play and it might have been the biggest win
of the year as Fresno State had dropped consecutive games.
Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

Fresno State celebrated its homecoming celebration with a 31-21 victory over Utah State in a battle between Western Athletic Conference members. The game was close throughout before the ‘Dogs scored 17 unanswered second-half points to steal the conference victory.

The Bulldogs used a balanced attack, resulting in 454 total offensive yards to take control of the game after trailing 21-14 at halftime.

Once again, the Bulldog defense was hurt by big plays of 20 yards or more as the Aggies’ quick-strike offense got started fast on its opening drive. Freshman quarterback Chuckie Keeton hit running back Michael Smith on a screen pass and the senior did the rest, taking the ball 47 yards for a touchdown to give Utah State the 7-0 lead.

The Fresno State offense shot itself in the foot early on with a pivotal error in the quarterback-center exchange that gave the Aggies the ball after going 68 yards on 12 plays during their first possession. Utah State capitalized on the Bulldog miscue, turning the fumble into another score when junior running back Robert Turbin bullied the Fresno State defense and scampered 59 yards for a touchdown, extending the Aggies’ lead to 14 in the first quarter.

The Bulldogs showed a composed state that seemed to have escaped them in recent weeks, utilizing a balanced offensive attack, which allowed them to get right back in the game. Sophomore quarterback Derek Carr led the offense all night and answered the call with a five-play, 84-yard drive capped off with a 23-yard scoring strike to sophomore wide receiver Isaiah Burse.

In the second quarter, Carr provided the ‘Dogs with a leap of faith as he jumped over his offensive line for his third rushing touchdown of the season to tie the score at 14 all. Carr finished the game going 23-of-39 for 248 yards and two touchdowns.

But Smith would shred the Fresno State defense again with a 46-yard touchdown run as he outran the secondary for his second scoring scamper of the evening.

In the second half, the Bulldog defense stepped it’s game up and shut out Utah State for the rest of the game. The Aggies were able to get into scoring position two more times, but Utah State’s kicking game proved to be ineffective.

Senior kicker Kevin Goessling added a 47-yard field goal to get the Bulldogs within four points late in the third quarter. The field goal attempt was his first since missing three against Mississippi a couple weeks ago.

In the fourth quarter, the Fresno State defense truly bended but didn’t break as it got a big stop on third down to force a Utah State field goal attempt. The ‘Dogs would come up with another field goal block to halt the Aggies’ momentum and keep the score a 21-17 defecit.

Later in the fourth quarter, with the ‘Dogs down by four points, Carr put the team on his back and drove them down the field. He put Fresno State in scoring position and sophomore wide receiver Jalen Saunders did the rest. Saunders caught a screen pass from Carr and ran nearly 60 yards en route to a 23-yard touchdown to give Fresno State its first lead of the game, 24-21.

On the following drive, the Fresno State defense continued its improved second-half play with a key turnover on Keeton to set up the Bulldogs’ offense in scoring position. With a short field, Carr gave a delayed handoff to junior running back Robbie Rouse on third down and seven, which gave Fresno State the 31-21 lead late in the fourth quarter. This would prove to be enough as the ‘Dogs took the 10-point win. Rouse finished the game with 24 carries for 143 yards rushing and one touchdown.

The pivotal WAC victory celebration should be short lived as Fresno State hits the road this Saturday to take on Nevada in a showdown between the last remaining undefeated conference schools.