Deja Blue at Bulldog Stadium

Senior running back D.J. Harper, seen here, scores one of his two
touchdowns on Friday in Boise State’s shellacking of Fresno State,
57-7, the worst loss in Bulldog Stadium history.
Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

Fresno State welcomed No. 5 Boise State to Bulldog Stadium in front of a national-television audience.

But with the country tuned in, the Broncos dominated in normal Boise State fashion, manhandling Fresno State from start to finish on both sides of the ball during Friday’s football game. The Broncos would go on to win 57-7, marking the worst loss in Bulldog Stadium history.

Senior Devon Wylie provided the lone bright spot for the ‘Dogs when he sliced and diced the Broncos’ punt return coverage for a 79-yard touchdown. The fourth-quarter return was Wylie’s third punt return for a touchdown this season.

Heisman hopeful quarterback Kellen Moore completed 23-of-31 passes for 254 yards and three touchdowns in just two and a half quarters of play. The win was Moore’s 43rd of his college career to put him even more in reach to be the all-time winningest quarterback in college football history. Former Texas Longhorns quarterback Colt McCoy holds that crown.

Moore and the Broncos scored on six of eight first-half possessions, five of which were touchdowns. The first score came on a 77-yard drive that resulted in a four-yard touchdown pass to freshman wide receiver Matt Miller.

The Bulldogs couldn’t do many things right as they weren’t even able to cross midfield before being down by 30 points. The Bulldogs were only able to convert nine total first downs. Fresno State’s nine first downs was a digit more than the Broncos had in touchdowns with eight.

Most of Boise State’s second-half offensive game plan was to rely on a run-heavy attack that not only moved the ball downfield, but also ate up time off the clock. Seven different players received and carried the rock for the Broncos.

Boise State’s ground attack ran for 183 yards and added five rushing touchdowns by four different players. Three of the touchdowns came in the second half by seniors Doug Martin, D.J. Harper and freshman Grant Hedrick, who had touchdown runs of one, three and 23 yards.

The Friday-night mismatch marked the fourth consecutive game that Boise State has scored more than 50 points against the Bulldogs.

The Broncos’ defense was able to control Fresno State’s offense the entire game by holding the Bulldogs to a three-and-out on the first two series of the game and forcing a fumble on the second play of the third quarter.

The ‘Dogs gained one first down in each of the first two quarters, the first coming on the last play of the first quarter. The Bulldogs’ longest drive of the first half went five plays for 47 yards –40 of the yards came on a run by running back Robbie Rouse, which was the Bulldogs’ second and final first down of the half. Two plays later, Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr fumbled after a six-yard run, giving the ball back to the Broncos.

Carr was held to only 126 yards passing and also threw an interception. Carr’s performance was the worst of his young collegiate career, statistically. The Bulldogs did allow 144 rushing on the ground on 26 attempts. The Broncos forced the ‘Dogs into four turnovers with two coming on fumbles and the other two on interceptions.

Rouse didn’t get much of a chance to make a difference with the ball as Fresno State fell behind quickly and by a large margin. Rouse ended the game with 72 yards rushing on only 10 carries. It was only the second game that Rouse was held below the century mark, which ended his streak of four straight games going over the 100-yard mark.

After serving a four-game suspension, Boise State sophomore wide receiver Geraldo Boldewijn made the most of his season debut, scoring on two out of his three catches.

The win was the Broncos’ first non-conference victory in four chances against the Bulldogs, moving their record up to 10-4 all time between the two programs.