Collegian Q&A with Boise State’s sports editor

Fresno State has a tough challenge ahead of it today with Boise State coming to town. The Broncos will be the highest ranked team to ever grace Jim Sweeney Field as they are No. 5 team in the country. The last team that the ‘Dogs played that was ranked in the top ten and also came to Fresno State was Oregon State in 2001.

Last year the ‘Dogs traveled to Boise State to play the Broncos on their blue turf. Fresno State came back with a bad taste in its mouth after getting dominated for four quarters and dealing with a 51-0 shellacking. The ‘Dogs will look to avenge that loss Friday evening.

Wyatt Martin is the sports editor at Boise State and sports editor Jerry Huerta caught up with him to talk about what the ‘Dogs can expect from the Broncos in their first game as a nonconference opponent since they are now a Mountain West Conference member.

Q: What can Fresno State expect from Boise State’s offense?

A: Fresno can expect the same balanced attack, which Boise State has been incorporating for the past few seasons. Last week against Nevada, senior running back Doug Martin had his first 100-yard game of the season, while senior Kellen Moore struggled in the passing game. Expect Moore to have a bounce-back game as he tries to prove last week’s performance was nothing but a fluke.

Q: What impact has Kellen Moore had on the Broncos’ program?

A: As the Boise State program has continually risen through the national ranks over the past decade, Moore has not only transitioned into the starting quarterback position with exceptional ease, he has proven that small-town kids that get looked over by some of the bigger schools can become major, impact players in the right systems.

Q: What kind of impact can Doug Martin have?

A: Martin is seen as one of the most talented backs to ever grace the Boise State backfield. While Martin has the ability to make big plays in the running game, he is also a gifted pass catcher out of the backfield. Head coach Chris Petersen will go out of his way to get the ball into Martin’s hands

Q: What can Fresno State expect from Boise State’s defense?

A: Boise State’s defense will use disguises in its coverage to try and disrupt sophomore quarterback Derek Carr’s reads. The defensive line will use its eight-man rotation to keep the big boys in the trenches from getting tired.

Q: Which players are difference makers in the secondary, linebacking corps and defensive line?

A: Difference maker in the secondary would be Jamar Taylor. After moving to field-side corner last week, the Broncos will trust Taylor to hold his own against the likes of sophomore wide receivers Jalen Saunders. For the linebackers, Aaron Tevis. Tevis has stepped into his role at Will-Linebacker and has been making plays thus far for Boise State. And for the defensive line, Shea McClellin. McClellin once again leads the team in sacks and has come up with some big games against big competition.

Q: How has head coach Chris Petersen impacted this program?

A: Petersen has taken Boise State to the next level in his tenure as head coach. The Broncos have become the team to beat as far as non-AQ schools go; with year after year of top-ten finishes.

Q: What will it take for Boise State to beat Fresno State on Saturday?

A: Boise State is undoubtedly in for a tough game. While the Broncos have taken the last five from the Bulldogs, this is still a rivalry game which always seems to bring out great emotions from both sides. Boise State will have to avoid turnovers in the redzone like it committed last week, or it may be in for one long night in Fresno.