Bulldog Game Day: Boise State

Defensive lineman Logan Harrell,77, will need to lead the pass
rush and have another big game tonight if the ‘Dogs want to get
their biggest win of the season.
Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

Breakdown: Broncos

Boise State has started off the season in normal Bronco dominating-fashion.The Broncos have rattled off wins against Georgia, Tulsa, Toledo and Nevada in their first four games.
Boise State has a bunch of fifth-year seniors at its disposal. The main one is quarterback Kellen Moore, who is one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the country. Moore could end the season as the winningest quarterback in NCAA history. The Broncos also have Doug Martin, who is one of the best running backs that no one talks about in the nation. He could go down as one of best backs in Bronco history. If Martin provides the thunder then running back D.J. Harper provides the lightning with his speed in the open field. The senior will give Fresno State a different look when he is in the game.

The defense is usually overshadowed by the offense, especially with Moore behind center. The Broncos have 13 seniors on defense that get significant playing time. Shea McClellin leads the team with 3.5 sacks. At linebacker, the Broncos have Aaron Tevis, who has 15 tackles on the team. At the defensive back position, Jerrell Gavins leads the team with three interceptions.

Breakdown: Bulldogs

Fresno State welcomes No. 5 Boise State to Bulldog Stadium ten years after the shoes were on the other ones’ feet with the Bulldogs being the eighth-ranked team in the country in the 2001 meeting. Boise State comes to Fresno State as the highest ranked team to every step foot on Jim Sweeney Field.

Former Fresno State quarterback David Carr started the first game against Boise State in the current series and the Broncos got the upset victory. Since that game, the Broncos have went 8-1 against Fresno State.

Now, David’s brother Derek has his first shot at the Broncos. Carr has started the season fast completing 61 percent of his passes with 1,291 yards and ten touchdowns. The sophomore will need to find his receivers early and often to stretch the field. Running back Robbie Rouse will need to continue his current trend on the ground to help open passing lanes for Carr and the passing attack.

The Fresno State defense will need to be in Moore’s face all game and that starts with senior defensive lineman Logan Harrell, who leads the team with 3.5 sacks and 8.5 tackles for loss.

If the ‘Dogs can do what Nevada did to Moore in the first half of last Saturday’s game, then it will allow them to keep the game close and hopefully get the upset.

Keys to Victory

1. Contain Moore
Fresno State will face its stiffest test at the quarterback position this season tonight with Kellen Moore coming to town. Moore by season’s end could be the winningest quarterback in NCAA history. The Bulldogs’ defense will need to be on the same page all night if they want to get the upset.

2. Limit the ‘Big Play’
This has been a key to victory since the season has started because the ‘Dogs are still having trouble limiting the big play. If Fresno State limits the big plays than the game could be closer than some expect.

3. Continue making the ‘Big Plays’
In the past couple games, the ‘Dogs have made big plays to stretch the field and help open running lanes for RB Robbie Rouse. Fresno State will need to continue that Friday night.

Position Matchups

When Fresno State runs:
Advantage – Fresno State
RB Robbie Rouse has had four consecutive 100-yard games to provide a balanced attack for quarteback Derek Carr. The Broncos’ defense is the 36-ranked rush defense in the country.

When Boise State runs:
Advantage – Boise State
Fresno State had a tough time stopping Mississippi’s rushing attack last Saturday. Friday night’s game should be even tougher with RB Doug Martin being one of the best backs in the country.

When Fresno State passes:
Advantage – Fresno State
Now that Fresno State has Carr behind center, it has really aired it out. Look for this week to be no different.

When Boise State passes:
Advantage – Boise State
The ‘Dogs have the 47th-ranked pass defense in the country and will need to play their best game of the season if they want to contain Moore.

Special teams:
Advantage – Even
Kicker Kevin Goessling had his worst game since the ‘Dogs played Wisconsin when he was a freshman. Look for him to bounce back.