African-American theatre puts on classic play

Mondasha Goodman and other cast members rehearse a group dance in
preparation for the Fresno State theatre production “For Colored Girls.”
Ezra Romero / The Collegian

Starting this month, Fresno State’s African-American Theatre will perform a play that director Thomas-Whit Ellis said is “one of the most important works underscoring the collective voice of African-American women.”

“For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf” is a 1975 play written by Ntozake Shange. It has been performed onstage numerous times and is now a movie. The play focuses on several women and their struggles with everyday life.

“The play is about various subjects including interpersonal relationships, growing up black and female in America, violence against women and all kinds of [things] representing the general social landscape of America in the late 60s,” Ellis said.

He thinks a play centered on African-American women is significant because theatre has mostly been a Caucasian male-dominated art form over the 20th century. Ellis said that little theatres representing female voices were presented and even less for African- American female based dramatic literature.

“Everyone should see this,” actress Janice Gonzalez said. “It’s a wonderful play ”” a choreopoem, a series of poems choreographed to music. There’s dancing throughout and poetic imagery and words.”

Actress Deja Thompson said the title of the play somewhat explains the whole concept.

“It displays a good message for colored girls about womanhood and empowerment,” she said.

Thompson said Ellis wanted everyone to have equal lines, therefore no one has one specific role. One of her roles is out of her comfort zone, but she enjoys playing the part.

“I really feel the whole scenery. It all flows together. It’s something that you just have to go see to understand,” she said.

Gonzalez will portray a Puerto Rican dancer and a little girl. It’s easy for her to get into character because she’s a dance major who teaches little girls and picks up their energy.

“I don’t want to give away the message because everyone can relate to the play in some way and take away what they perceive is the message for them. You’re missing out if you don’t watch,” she said. The all-female cast of eight has been rehearsing since mid-September for about 12 hours per week.

Ellis said the Theatre Arts Department launched and supported a program to foster the inclusion of African-Americans’ contributions to this art form. This consisted of presenting African-American dramatic themes and developing ideas to better include underserved student populations. Some commitment was made to continue offerings in this genre.

“The general premise of higher education is to provide an avenue from which students can gain a broader skill set, world view and awareness base,” he said. “The presentation of cultural forms that coexist with general American themes should be exposed and learned from.”

“For colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf” will be performed in the Dennis and Cheryl Woods Theatre beginning Friday, Oct. 28 at 8 p.m. until Saturday, Nov. 5.

Photo Gallery of “For Colored Girls:
[nggallery id=43]