World’s No. 1 DJ to perform in Fresno

Tiesto
Tiesto was named the world’s No. 1 DJ three times by DJ Magazine
and will be performing at Selland Arena on Oct. 3.
Photo courtesy of Collective Effort Events

Electronic music might not be a new music trend, but its popularity is on the rise and on Monday, Oct. 3, international DJ Tiesto will perform at the Selland Arena.

“Bringing Tiesto to Fresno is to give hope that there will be a spark of interest in electronic music,” Level 10 Productions partner Luke Monteleone said. “It is a growing trend in major cities.”

With the funky breakbeats, drum and voice machines and pop samples, electronic music is the latest musical revolution in clubs and other venues.

Tiesto has been around for almost 20 years, and has been a single headliner with countless sold-out shows.­ His career took off in in 2001 when his first solo album “In My Memory” was released, and was named “World’s No. 1 DJ” three consecutive times by DJ Magazine from 2002 through 2004.

He performed the opening ceremony for the 2004 Summer Olympics, making him the first DJ to play on stage at­ the Olympics.

In 2009, he released his fourth album “Kaleidoscope” where he featured artists such as Tegan and Sara and Nelly Furtado.­ This album was considered Tiesto’s most experimental album and reached the top 10 chart on iTunes in its first week.

“When I heard that Tiesto was coming to Fresno, I was shocked,” Fresno State sophomore Leslie Tu said.­ “Tiesto is one of the first electronic dance music artists that I started listening to.”

Tiesto’s performance can be described as the biggest dance party one will ever experience.­ The music is more about the culture of it, full of peace and love, making it a great opportunity for the Central Valley.

“Everyone should come to see Tiesto.­ He’s the No. 1 DJ in the world and it would be an experience of a lifetime,” Tu said.

Tickets are relatively inexpensive, when Tiesto’s tickets are usually double or triple the asking price.

“There is no excuse to not go,”­ Monteleone said.

Tiesto coming to Fresno is very rare, and could be a one-time deal for Fresno.

“The first time I saw him was this past summer in Las Vegas at the Electric Daisy Carnival (EDC),” sophomore Anthony Vanegas said. “Tiesto’s stage was full of lights, great music and the vibe of the audience was unbelievable.

“This isn’t like any regular concert.­ At any other concert there isn’t a connection between audience members, but when Tiesto performs, his music is calming and it makes everyone happy and want to dance,” Vanegas said.

The opening act for Tiesto is Porter Robinson, a 19-year-old prodigy from North Carolina, and is blowing up in the electronic scene.

“I have wanted to see Porter Robinson perform ever since I heard his music for the first time,” Vanegas said. “I was at the front stage of EDC watching him play his music.­ He had such great timing and flow to his transitions.­ I had mid expectations for Porter, but he definitely showed me wrong.”

This event is open to all ages and will begin at 6 p.m. on Oct. 3.

“I can’t wait to see both Porter Robinson and Tiesto again on Monday.­ I have been counting down the days since I purchased my tickets,”­ Vanegas, who stayed up till midnight the day they went on sale, said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

TobiasMar 30, 2012 at 7:39 am

of course, David Guetta is worlds no 1 DJ. He is all over the place. I love his track with Kelis, very nice combination! Also you need to check out Paul Kalkbrenner, very famous DJ from Germany!

• P

Peter AbidialFeb 29, 2012 at 9:20 am

I don t think that he is the no 1 DJ in the world. I think David Guetta is way more bigger, especially of his singles and platin albums. I am not a fan of david guetta but he has big success which i respect! Anybody was at the tiesto show, is the music hard, or does he also play soft house?

BeyondEDM.comOct 2, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Electronic Dance Music is definitely on rise in America.
    the success of Tiesto is a testament to this…