Oaxaca, Mexico social-political artist visits Fresno

Contemporary Mexican artist Dario Canul explained the social
movement in Oaxaca, Mexico.
Photo courtesy of Mauro Carrera

Local artists met in downtown Fresno Thursday night for a chance to see the work of contemporary Mexican artist, Dario Canul.

Canul discussed how artists from throughout the area united in order to help promote a social and political change in the political conflict that took place in 2006 in Oaxaca, Mexico.

The protests in Oaxaca began on May 22, 2006 when teachers went on strike to protest low funding, infrastructure, demanded free lunches and books for their students and called for the resignation of then Governor Ulises Ruiz Ortiz.

The presentation was put together by the Barrio Art Collective and organized by Fresno State alum Mauro Carrera.

The Barrio Art Collective is a group that has been meeting informally for about eight months, Carrera said.

“We’ve done community murals and ArtHops,” Carrera said. “We want to bring to light the Chicano experience to the overall art scene.”

Thursday marked the first official meeting of the art collective as well.

“We want to stress that you don’t have to be a professional artist to express yourself,” Carerra added.

Students from Fresno State also decided to join in the art collective as well.

Cresencia Cruz, a psychology major at Fresno State, said that she may not be an art major, but she supports the cause.

“It’s really about the empowerment of local artist,” Cruz said.

Cruz explained that the presentation by Canul was really eye opening for not only her, but for the entire collective.

“Here we are really sheltered or we choose to ignore things like in Oaxaca,” Cruz said. Cruz said the Mexican government painted over art pieces a couple of days after the protests ended.

“Artist began to join the movement,” Canul said. “There were formal artists and as well as street artists, all protesting against a totalitarian government.

Protesters were criticized for painting and posting banners and political messages on city walls.

“A lot of people didn’t understand the art,” Canul said. “People saw it as vandalism, but really it was a form of communication. A lot of their paintings are now shown in museums around the world.

“It’s good to see that some of those pieces were saved,” she said. “A lot of those murals weren’t shown on the news, and the ones that were, were perceived as bad.”

Edith Mendez was another Fresno State student attending the event.

At the presentation, Canul explained the situation of Oaxaca in 2006 and the role of artist in the situation.

Fresno State student also attended the event. “It’s good to hear about stuff like that that happens,” Mendez said. “We could’ve been in that situation.”

Mendez said that it was good for the collective to see such great abstract and political art.

“We’re really about helping to inspire future local artist,” Mendez said. “We want more people to be aware of art in our community.”

At the end of the month, Carrera and Canul will be hosting another presentation at the Fresno Art Museum.

“We will be showing art that shows both me and Dario’s experience,” Carrera said. “We are working with the theme of violence and living in a culture of violence. We will be showing art that is political, cultural and spiritual.”

Carerra and Canul’s art show will be hosted at the Fresno Art Museum starting on Sept. 29 from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m.