I don’t heart radio

I don’t heart radio. I thought I did, but I don’t.

It all began a few months ago when I started a new job in a place where the radio was always on. In the past, I rarely listened to the radio because I had my iPod or a CD with me, so there was no need.

But after spending some time listening to different stations, I realized I enjoyed it. I started to hear new songs that I liked, old songs I forgot about and even songs that I thought I didn’t like, but ended up being better than I thought.

But the good times ended.

I quickly started to notice a pattern. I caught myself thinking, “didn’t they just play this song a few minutes ago?” more and more often.

At that point, it became painfully obvious. It didn’t matter what station I turned to, the problem remained the same. They played the same songs over, and over, and over, and over… I swear if I hear Katy Perry’s “Last Friday Night” one more time I’m going to drive to Yosemite and throw my boom box off of Half Dome.

One of my favorite bands, Reel Big Fish, said it so perfectly back in the ‘90s: “The radio plays what they want you to hear…”

I couldn’t say it better myself.

The radio has so much control over who becomes popular and who doesn’t that it actually scares me a little bit. Stations like Y101 and Alice play what they call “The Valley’s hottest music.”

But my question is this: How can music become popular if you don’t play it on the radio?

The bands that are being played on the radio tend to be the bands that are most downloaded on iTunes and other music sites. That’s how they get deemed “popular.” But I’d be willing to bet many of the buyers on these sites heard the music on the radio first, and then decided to buy it. So what we end up with is a terrifying chain of events that begins and ends with the radio.

I understand that there are other ways to discover new music. But try watching “That Thing You Do” or even “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” In each of these movies, the radio plays a pivotal role in the musical success of the main characters. If “The Oneders” had never been played on the radio, there wouldn’t even be a movie.

Yes, these are fictional examples, but the principle applies in real life. Without the radio, achieving success becomes much harder.

Until I have the time and the funds to start my own radio station that does things a little differently, I guess I’ll have to stick to Pandora.

Matt Weir is the former photo editor of The Collegian, and a senior at Fresno State studying graphic design.

$100
$500

$100
$500

CrystalSep 15, 2011 at 10:35 am

I couldn’t have said it better myself. In fact, I knew I liked this article just by the headline and the lead! It summed it up perfectly. I have a mini stereo set in my apartment, and it never gets used unless I absolutely just don’t want it to be quiet…meaning, I usually will tune out the radio. Because you’re right. “The Valley’s Hottest Music”? I’m guessing only 10 songs are popular enough to be looped throughout the course of 24 hours. My iTunes has more variety than that. There is so much good music out there that is being overlooked (a nicer way of saying “ignored”)because it isn’t popular to the masses that call the radio station every day and request a song. Do people even do that anymore? I wouldn’t bother because when I used to try that, it didn’t get played anyway. People’s choice, yeah right. The point is, well written!

• P

PhilosotrollSep 14, 2011 at 3:26 pm

The best article I’ve read in the opinion section in a while. I’m more or less with you. The concept of “popular music” and the way that it becomes popular, is generally pretty depressing.

That said, I figured it was worth mentioning that there are radio stations that keep shooting for interesting stuff, and I appreciate that they’re out there. So, a nice little plug for KFSR’s Evening Eclectic.

MattSep 16, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I totally agree. I was going to mention something about KFSR being a rare exception, but I couldn’t really seem to make it fit. I think Evening Eclectic is a great thing and I wish there were other stations that would take a hint!

AbigailSep 14, 2011 at 9:41 am

I have to agree with this opinion piece. I sometimes feel that I listen to obscure music when I’m with friends. But it’s really because the shuffle feature on my iPod gives me a wider variety than any local radio station can.