Fresno State gets a scare in the home opener

Junior Robbie Rouse leaped over the line for a 2-yard touchdown
run to give the ‘Dogs the lead for good.
Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

Fresno State finally had its chance to get their first win in front of the Bulldog faithful, but North Dakota had another idea. The ‘Dogs started off fast with sophomore quarterback Derek Carr hitting sophomore wideout Jalen Saunders in stride for the 86-yard touchdown pass. It gave the ‘Dogs the early 7-0 lead.

The Carr-to-Saunders combination worked again this time from 52-yards out to give Fresno State the 14-0 lead. Carr finished the game going 11-of-17 for 235 yards and the two touchdown strikes to Saunders. North Dakota answered back with sophomore Jake Miller’s 70-yard run. Miller finished the game with 150 yards on 21 carries. On the extra point attempt, the ‘Dogs came up with the block to hold the Fighting Sioux to six points.

With only seconds left in the first half, North Dakota kicker Zeb Miller hit the field goal to cut the Fresno State lead to 14-9. Senior wide receiver Devon Wylie sliced his way through the North Dakota return team with a 48-yard punt return to put the ‘Dogs in scoring position. Junior Robbie Rouse plowed it in from two yards out to extend Fresno State’s lead to 21-9. Rouse finished with 114 yards on 27 carries and two touchdowns.

North Dakota running back Miller scored his second touchdown of the night with a three-yard run to cut the lead to 21-16. The Fighting Sioux had the upset on its mind with their second touchdown of quarter with running back Jer Garman’s touchdown to take the 22-21 lead. The Fighting Sioux went for the two-point conversion, but the ‘Dogs stopped the attempt.

On the next drive, Rouse did some heavy lifting on the drive accounting for most of Fresno State’s yardage and scored the Bulldogs’ go-ahead touchdown. The ‘Dogs went for the two-point conversion, but came up short, Fresno State had the 27-22 lead in the fourth quarter.
The ‘Dogs had to get the biggest stop of the game with the game in the balance without starting strong safety Derron Smith who left the game with an undisclosed injury. Fresno State’s defense delivered as they came up with the stop to keep the Bulldog’s victory hopes intact and the ‘Dogs did forcing a punt to give the offense a chance to put the game away.

With the ball in the offenses’ hands, Fresno State gave the ball to Rouse to put the game away and he delivered. Especially on the final third down of the game with the ‘Dogs needing 12 yards to get the first down and Rouse got 18 to give Fresno State its first win of the season, 27-22. Now, Fresno State has a couple days to prepare for their next game on the road against Idaho.