Derron Smith’s time has come

Smith started his second game at free safety against California
where he was tied for the team lead with eight tackles.
Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

Smith should be put to the test through the air and in the ground game as the‘Dogs travel to Nebraska on Saturday.

During the offseason, the ‘Dogs started the transition from a veteran team in 2010 to a young and inexperienced current roster, especially in a few crucial slots.

Fresno State lost its fair share of key contributors from last season to graduation, especially on defense where the ‘Dogs had to replace Western Athletic Conference defensive player of the year Chris Carter, four-year starter at middle linebacker Ben Jacobs and a pair of two-year defensive back starters in Desia Dunn and Lorne Bell.

Filling Bell’s shoes is sophomore Derron Smith who earned the starting strong safety job after seeing the field quite a bit in 2010 due to injuries. He started for the second time as a Bulldog in the season opener against California where the ‘Dogs came up short, 36-21.

Although Fresno State couldn’t muster its eighth straight season-opening win, Smith made the most of his opportunity by recording eight tackles which was tied for the team lead.

“I felt good since I’ve been at the position all spring and summer,” Smith said after Monday’s practice. “I felt comfortable and confident throughout the whole game.”

The Banning High School graduate showed that he has the ability to cover as well as fill the running lanes on defense. Smith also recorded a tackle for loss and broke up a pass on Saturday.

This was also Smith’s first game in more of a leadership role after junior strong safety Phillip Thomas suffered a severe leg injury just days prior to the California game. Thomas broke his leg and will reportedly be out of the lineup eight to 12 weeks.

The size of the hole left by Thomas will hinge on the play of juniors Cristin Wilson, Terrance Dennis and senior Zak Hill and the trio’s ability to improve as the young season progresses.

Now, with the crucial blow to the secondary, Smith mayhave to bring some stability to an already rebuilt defensive backfield.

“Derron Smith got thrown into quite a situation on Thursday having to take it over back there [in the defensive backfield],” head coach Pat Hill said.

Smith contributed to the defense as a freshman last season playing behind Bell and Thomas, playing spot duty based on the week-by-week injury report. He recorded 28 tackles and one for a loss.

Both Smith and defensive coordinator Randy Stewart hope the California game was an abnormality based on the fact that a sophomore safety led the Bulldogs in tackles in a pivotal season opener. Sophomore L.J. Jones was the only other Bulldog to have more than four tackles, finishing the game with seven and adding an interception. Jones’ interception was the first of his collegiate career and it set up the ‘Dogs for their first score of the game.

Smith went into the game as the most experienced safety and Stewart talked about his impact against California.

“I thought he did a good, solid job,” Stewart said. “In making checks, playing every snap, the kicking game and making all the adjustments.”

Since being thrust into the lineup as a true freshman, Smith has worked his way into the coach’s trust and could continue to grow with more ample playing time. But a stiff test lies ahead in Saturday’s matchup against Nebraska, which has one of most electrifying players in the country in quarterback Taylor Martinez.

But tall tests or not, Stewart recognizes the potential his young defensive playmaker can have during his Fresno State career.

“There are no limitations, you just keep working and see how high [he] can take it,” Stewart said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Colleen ChampionSep 14, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Derron has been above average since he started in Jr. All American PeeWee. He was awesome as a quarterback, he could kick the best field goals, he could run faster than most and then he would also play defense. He rarely sat down at all. He was on the field for most of the game unless he needed a quick water break! He always has told me he is going to be on the Green Bay Packers someday and if not the Packer’s he will be in the NFL. We in Banning are so PROUD of Derron and they are finally saying his name correct!! BullDogs should be honored to have him…. he just gets better all the time and he exceeds in his academic studies on top. Have you seen him play basketball??? just as good as football! He literally can jump OVER the top of other players to make baskets! He is a talented young man and he is not conceited or cocky. He is a true gentleman and does not catch an attitude! I would love to be able to get these newsletter update!
    Thank you,
    Colleen Champion
    451 W. Hoffer St.
    Banning, CA. 92220
    909*816*8130
    Thank you for allowing me to comment.