Clovis Fest entertainment good for local business

Ciara Norton / The Collegian

Saturday, Sept. 17, marked the 37th annual Clovis Fest in Old Town Clovis. The event began with the launching of over a dozen hot air balloons.

The balloons took off from the Clovis Rodeo Grounds around 7 a.m., and traveled to the far west side of Fresno.

The event took place on Pollasky Avenue between 3rd and 7th Streets from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Attendees could find over 250 arts and crafts and food vendors, face painting, a car show and even a carnival for children.

Clovis Chamber of Commerce communications director Fran Blackney estimates there were more than 50,000 visitors this weekend and added $2 million to the Clovis economy.

Blackney said the $2 million was calculated two years ago by the city and it includes revenues that benefit the city and to neighboring businesses that benefit from the event.

Table Mountain Casino sponsored the event with an undisclosed amount.

Air balloon festivals are not unique to Clovis; similar festivals are celebrated around the world. While the United States hosts the largest number of hot air balloon events, multiple countries such as India, Germany, France, Philippines, Japan, United Arab Emirates, Russia and Belgium among others host similar events.

The first Clovis Fest in 1974 began as a small craft show. Since then, the events in Old Town Clovis have continued to expand, Blackney said.

“This April’s Big Hat Days event was the largest turnout we have seen, and so we expected a large turnout for Clovis Fest as well,” Blackney said.

“I’m really glad I decided to come,” Fresno State student Eric Silva said. “I’ve never seen hot air balloons in person and it was just something different.”

After the launching of the hot air balloons, guests were directed across the street to Pollasky Avenue where the rest of the day’s events were held.

“The music made everything a little more fun,” Silva said. “The musicians really got into what they were playing and it looked like they were having such a good time and so was everyone else.”

Organizations such as the Fresno Bully Rescue and Valley Animal Center were also present, encouraging families to make room for one more pet.

“This is my first time here,” Fresno State philosophy major Dallas Rosenfeld said. “My favorite part so far has been all of the variety of foods.”

At Clovis Fest, guests could find kettle corn, smoothies, shaved ice, hot dogs, tri-tip and cinnamon rolls.

Many vendors also took to the streets of Old Town Clovis to show their unique creations. John Silberzahn, owner of Windwalker Treasures, has participated in the event for 13 years. His business specializes in Native American jewelry and art.

“I have many good friends here,” Silberzahn said. “My customers have become my friends. I just love it here.”

Silberzahn has taken his mobile gallery to around 30 festivals but said that Clovis Fest has always been his favorite.

“Blackney really knows her stuff,” Silberzahn said. “It’s very well organized and she is prone to seeing that the vendors are satisfied.”

Other vendors sold items such as crochet creations, Cobble Creek soap and Gold Canyon candles.

Ethel Mullikan, 76, has entered her 1979 Camaro Berlinetta in the Clovis Fest car show so for the past four years.

“I bring my car every year I can and I love getting to talk to all these people,” Mullikan said.

“I plan to keep coming back to Clovis Fest every year that I can,” Mullikan said.

Many people gathered around Mullikan for photos of her maroon Camaro.

“Looking at all of the cars was by far my favorite part of Clovis Fest,” Rosenfeld said.

“It’s always a happy place and there are a lot of families,” Blackney said. “To see all these people every year out and enjoying themselves is where I get the most enjoyment.”