CA Supreme Court Judge Cruz Reynoso visits Fresno State

Johnathan Wilbanks / The Collegian

The California Latino and Native American Leadership Council (CLNALC) held a workshop encouraging Latino residents of the Central Valley to participate in local government.

The council gave an overview of the current administration under California Governor Jerry Brown. The workshop outlined the application process and positions available for applicants.

The appointment process, available position, and the application process for each were outlined during the workshop.

The mission of CLNALC is to improve the California government by helping Brown have access to talented Latino and Native American communities.

California Supreme Court Justice and civil rights lawyer Cruz Reynoso was present at the conference in order to inspire Latinos to become politically involved.

Reynoso is the first Latino to sit on the California Supreme Court and has been involved with Cesar Chavez and President Barack Obama.

Reynoso has helped the underserved and disadvantaged people of California throughout his career. He has also received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest honor for a civilian.

“It was a great thrill to me to finally be able to represent folk who previously had not been able to be represented and have justice come somewhat more equally to all Californians,” Reynoso said in an interview with UC Davis reporter Paul Pfotenhauer.

Neptaly “Taty” Aguilera encouraged and adviced to the audience on how to apply for and be accepted into a government job.

“The state government is changing and that’s what I want to share with you,” Aguilera said. “It’s a golden opportunity. The government tells you to apply, but does not necessarily tell you what to apply for or how to apply.

“[There is] plenty of opportunity for young and older people to participate in state government.”

Aguilera said 25 percent of all managers and above are going to retire within the next three years. This will leave a large amount of jobs to be filled by younger individuals who could be Latino.

There are approximately 2,500 jobs under Brown. To obtain one applicants must have good contacts community involvement, and do research about position availability.

Informational binders distributed at the workshop provided information about positions available under Brown.

CLNALC welcomes Latino and Native American leaders from all walks of life to join. This list includes doctors, lawyers, community activists and laborers.

CLNALC participants live as far south as San Diego, and as far north as the California-Oregon border. Application for students interested in working for Brown are available at jerrybrown.org.

$100
$500

$100
$500

MALCOLMCLYDESSep 19, 2011 at 10:50 pm

it’s “justice,” not “judge”

moreover, this article should prob mention that he is a former justice as he was ousted by conservative voters in the early 80s for being “soft on crime” and is currently a professor of law at uc davis’ king hall

n e ways just sayin great man w/ a great legacy, fortunate enough to have attended many of reynoso’s lectures at uc davis