Young defensive line faces stiff test at Cal

Senior tackle Logan Harrell is the only returning starter
along the defensive line after three seniors graduated in May.
Matt Weir / Collegian File Photo

The ‘Dogs will put their young defensive line to the test against a more experienced offensive line for the Golden Bears

In a just three days, Fresno State will travel to San Francisco to take on California at Candlestick Park. One key matchup in this West Coast showdown could be in the trenches between California’s offensive line and Fresno State’s reloaded defensive front.

The ‘Dogs have an inexperienced group on the defensive line returning after seeing three seniors graduate in May. The most notable of the seniors was reigning Western Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year Chris Carter. Carter also led the WAC in sacks with 11 in 2010.

Joining Carter on the defensive line last season were fellow seniors Cornell Banks and Chris Lewis. The two provided some stability to the defensive side of the ball, taking some load off Carter’s shoulders.

But one returning cog that was apart of that defensive line was now-senior Logan Harrell. Harrell finished second in the WAC with 10.5 sacks and was selected to the All-WAC first team. He now has the most game experience remaining left on the defensive line and is catching the eye of many All-America voters. He will lead the defensive line in hopes of containing the Golden Bears’ retooled offensive attack.

California returns four starters up front, including the most notable senior preseason All-American in Mitchell Schwartz. Fresno State’s defensive line, however, is not discouraged by the mismatch presented by their opponent’s offensive front.

Although the ‘Dogs are mismatched on paper and lack experience, defensive line coach Will Plemons feels his linemen are coming along well despite Logan Harrell being the only true returning starter to the group.

“What I’m worried about is how hard we work and how hard we prepared in the offseason up to this point,” Plemons said. “I feel very good about our players and the work they’ve put in.”

Head coach Pat Hill has said that the Bulldogs came into fall camp in shape and ready to work. He was especially pleased with the young players’ performance in offseason workouts.

“We have a young group except for Logan [Harrell] and Chase [McEntee],” Hill said during his weekly press conference on Monday. “Donavaughn Pritchett is a senior but hasn’t played a whole lot. We’ve also got some young players that have had good camps. I’m looking forward to watching them play.”

Other young players include sophomore Nat Harrison and junior Matt Akers who are slated to start at defensive ends for the ‘Dogs on Saturday, while seniors Harrell and McEntee are expected start at the interior tackle positions.

They will battle it out with Schwartz and the rest of Cal’s offensive line who have a combined 85 collegiate starts between Justin Cheadle, Brian Schwenke, Matt Summers-Gavin and Dominic Galas.

Plemons knows that it will take the entire cast to apply pressure and make California quarterback Zach Maynard, a Buffalo transfer, uncomfortable in the pocket. Maynard had to sit out due to NCAA transfer rules last season. Now eligible to play, Maynard will see his first action in a Golden Bear uniform on Saturday as coach Jeff Tedford’s starting quarterback.

“[Maynard]’s a very athletic quarterback, He can throw the ball, he can run, he can take a hit.” Plemons said. “We look at him like a quarterback that just played last year, and we’re going to play against him like we play against every other quarterback.”

Fresno State has traditionally struggled with athletic quarterbacks, but showed signs of improvement last year, especially against the spread-option attack.

Despite Harrell’s demanding presence, Plemons insists the unit as a whole needs to step up.

“There’s no more weight [on Harrell and McEntee] than there has been on anybody,” coach Plemons said after Tuesday’s practice. “It takes four people at a time to play this game. Two guys aren’t going to win it. It’s going to take four. As long as everyone does their role as best they can, then we’re going to have a great day.”

The ‘Dogs will look for the defensive line to step up with a reported 12,500 Bulldog fans planning to make the trip to the Bay Area to watch Fresno State take on the newly restructured Pacific-12.

California has a 55-5 record when scoring 30 points or more since head coach Jeff Tedford took the reigns in 2002. Despite the Golden Bears being nearly unbeatable when they score over 30 points, Plemons said his defensive line is not intimidated by the numbers.

“We’re just focused on playing the best defense we can play,” Plemons said. “We’re just worried about playing good football.”