Preventing theft at the library

Camaras located at the Henry Madden Library help the
University Police Department prevent crime. These monitors
are located in the University Police Department headquarters
on Barstow Avenue.
Author / The Collegian

With four reported thefts at the library last semester, library public safety assistants are always on the lookout for unattended personal belongings.

The definite number of thefts over last semester is unknown due to the high number of unreported crime.

The problem is not an everyday occurrence but it does happen, Henry Madden Library public safety assistant Roman Covarrubias said.

Edgar Enriquez, another PSA, said that of the four reported thefts last semester, he personally caught one laptop thief.

Enriquez and Covarrubias said that the most common problem among all victims is a willingness to leave their personal property unattended.

“ ‘I was only gone for a minute.’ That’s the thing we hear the most often,” Covarrubias said. “You may have only been gone for a minute, but that minute was a crucial minute.”

The hottest items for thefts are laptops, cell phones and iPods, Covarrubias added.

“The thing is, the library is not only open to students, it’s open to the public,” Covarrubias said. “People come in and capitalize on that.”

There are always three PSAs working at the library at one time. Part of a PSA’s job is to watch over unattended property, which they do multiple times during a shift.

“If I find an unattended bag I make sure to keep a close eye on it,” Enriquez said. “If someone doesn’t come back and claim it within five or ten minutes, I’ll take it to the lost and found.

Enriquez continued:“We also keep a close eye on anyone suspicious. Anyone who comes in and is just walking around without purpose.”

PSAs constantly monitor camera feed during library working hours. The monitors are located near the entrance of the library and at the University Police Department.

Enriquez caught a thief last semester when the culprit returned to the scene of the crime.

“We were able to recover some stolen items last year, but there is no guarantee that you will get your things back if they are stolen,” Enriquez said.

“Our first job is the safety of the students,” Covarrubias said. “We are the eyes and the ears of the university police.”

Lieutenant Jim Watson previously told The Collegian that in order to prevent crime, cameras have been stationed at various locations at the Henry Madden Library. Several cameras have been placed in elevators and other locations to prevent crime and increase security.

PSAs advise students to ask a neighbor to watch their personal items and never to leave anything unattended.