Danger of supplements can go unnoticed

Muscle Milk, a brand of protein shakes, is a very popular brand amongst Fresno State students
Muscle Milk, a brand of protein shakes, is a very popular brand amongst
Fresno State students.
Esteban Cortez / The Collegian

There may come a time when some people want to change their body image. This may include increasing their muscle mass or losing weight, and exercise can help in these changes, but some people want a shortcut; they want results immediately.

In order to achieve this, many people turn to the assistance of supplements.

One of the most popular supplements is whey protein, which is used by those looking to gain and repair muscle.

Augustine, who chose not to give his last name, is a sales associate at Vitamin World. He stated that Precision Engineered is a very popular brand that is exclusive to his company. Augustine also pointed out that low lactose and lactose-free protein are available at most health stores. Whey protein contains protein which is used to rebuild muscle.

Nate, another sales associate, who also elected not to give his last name, gave some tips on using whey protein.

“The best time to use whey protein is in the morning,” said Nate. He reccomends 20 to 30 grams with breakfast.

He also advised that those who are using whey protein for the first time should also take multi-vitamins along with the whey protein. Another supplement that was recommended was fish oil.

Mass gainers are another popular supplement. Ashton a sales associate at GNC who chose not to give her last name, pointed out that mass gainers have a lot of calories but are completely safe.

Many supplements also have age restrictions.

“Any supplement that is used for preworkout, has a large amount of caffeine, or involves male enhancement, must be purchased by someone who is 18 or over,” said Augustine of Vitamin World.

What some people may not be aware of is that there are some dangers in using supplements. Stephanie Annett, a registered dietician with the Fresno State University Health Center, urges students and others to be careful with these products.

“Do research, talk to a health professional,” said Annett. She also stressed that students are welcome to come in to the health center and discuss any health issues or concerns free of charge.

Annett also would like to remind people that most supplements are made to work along with exercise and healthy eating. She also explained that a lot of students self-medicate with supplements not realizing future medical problems that can occur.

“Nothing can replace exercise and eating healthy,” said Annett.

In 2003, Hydroxycut, a popular weight loss supplement, was found to be responsible for many health risks. Ephedrine, an ingredient in the drug was found to be closely related to methamphetamine, was found to cause heart problems and damage to the nervous system.

A lot of the cases were a result of the users misusing the drug. The Food and Drug Administration found there were 16,000 instances of health issues, including two deaths related to Ephedrine.

In 2003, the FDA announced a ban on Ephedrine, and subsequently any products containing Ephedrine were pulled off store shelves.

Many products found on store shelves can be misunderstood by users and present health risks that can go ignored. It is reccomended by physicians to conduct research and become educated on products before consumption.