‘Dogs go 1-2 over weekend, Wild steps up

The Fresno State women’s volleyball team earned its first win on Saturday and finished 1-2 in the Fresno State Classic held at the Save Mart Center this past weekend.

Sophomore Korrin Wild made her starting debut at libero and led the Lady Bulldogs with a career-high 29 digs in their 3-2 loss Friday against Cal Poly.

Juniors Marissa Brand and Barbara Alcantara both had double-doubles in a 3-0 sweep of Long Island before falling 3-0 to No. 20 San Diego on Saturday. Brand had 12 kills and 13 digs, and Alcantara passed for 21 assists and 11 digs for the team’s first win.

Wild is a Central Valley native from Kingsburg who was recently named starting libero for the Bulldogs. She steps into the role after the loss of Kelly Mason due to graduation last May. Wild has big shoes to fill as Mason led the Western Athletic Conference in digs with 300 a season ago.

With all this on her mind, she didn’t hesitate in her first start as she was the only Bulldog named to the All-Tournament team. Wild finished the tournament with an astounding 65 digs in just three games.

“[Mason] was a great libero,” Wild said. “I think they are big shoes, but I think eventually we’ll be able to fill them well. I am looking forward to fitting into her new leadership role. I had a lot of opportunities as a freshman to really get in there and hit some balls and play a little bit. In the spring, I worked really hard so I’ve been able to train for this position.”
Lauren Netherby-Sewell is entering her fourth season at head coach of the volleyball program at Fresno State. She chose Wild over other candidates because she simply presented herself as the best choice.

“Korrin has more experience in that position than anybody,” Netherby-Sewell said. “She’s the most talented passer and defensively she’s really reading the ball well.”

Now, with Wild stepping into the starting libero position, she will be in command of the Bulldog backline. Her efforts should provide the ‘Dogs with a much needed defensive presence to pair with returning offensive forces Marissa Brand and Brianna Clarke. Both Brand and Clarke were second-team All-WAC last year.

“Korrin’s defensive game has gone through the roof. She has to settle in and get comfortable,” Netherby-Sewell added.

In addition to being named the starting libero for the ‘Dogs, Wild also was appointed co-captain of the team.

“It was an honor for me that the team voted me captain,” Wild said. “To be in that role is a very respectable.”

The sophomore co-captain also gave credit to her team saying the strong core group makes it easier for the leaders to step up.

Wild grew up watching Bulldog sports and is proud to be one of the leaders on the Fresno State volleyball team.

“It’s exciting,” Wild said. “I love playing in the Save Mart Center and playing for the ‘Dogs. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do. So to finally have the opportunity to do so is really exciting for me.”