Two ‘Dogs selected in 2011 NFL Draft

Photo illustration by Michael Uribes

Day three of the 2011 NFL Draft was the biggest day for Fresno State hopefuls as two former Bulldogs heard their names called at the league’s annual New York City event.

Former Bulldog defensive end Chris Carter was picked with the 31st pick in 5th round by the Pittsburgh Steelers who lost to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV in February.

Even though Carter had to wait a long time to find out where he would be playing next season, it might work out in his favor with the Steelers making it to the postseason three of the past four years. Also, they are the only team in the NFL with six Super Bowl titles.

It might not only be in Carter’s favor because the Steelers do get a productive player who was the Western Athletic Conference Defensive Player of Year last season.

He led the WAC with 11 sacks, which was only a half sack ahead of teammate Logan Harrell, and he also had 16.5 tackles for loss. He finished his career with 19.5 sacks and 36.5 tackles for loss.

Carter is projected to transition to outside linebacker in the Steeler’s 3-4 defensive scheme after being a defensive end for most of his collegiate career.

The transition may work out well with Carter being able to work with defensive mastermind Dick LeBeau and his “Blitz-burgh” defense. Another factor that will help Carter in his transition is working with a veteran-laden defense with 2010 AP Defensive Player of Year Troy Polamalu, James Harrison, Lamar Woodley and James Farrior.

Carter wasn’t the only former Bulldog selected on Saturday as former offensive lineman Andrew Jackson heard his name called with the 7th pick in the 7th round by the Atlanta Falcons.

Jackson is in good hands with the Falcons who led the NFC with a 13-3 record and made it to the divisional round of the playoffs.

After last season, there is a lot of promise in Atlanta with starting quarterback Matt Ryan entering his fourth season as the head of the Falcon’s franchise. Also, they have All-Pro wide receiver Roddy White and recently-drafted Julio Jones out of Alabama.

With Ryan being so important to the Falcon’s franchise, it was important to help shore up the offensive line with the selection of the four-year starter.

Jackson had his senior season shortened with an injury but was still selected as a first-team academic All-American.

Jackson was the last Bulldog selected in the NFL’s three-day event which left some notable ‘Dogs on the board, including former starting wide receiver Jamel Hamler who passed up his final year of eligibility to enter the draft and Ryan Colburn who started at quarterback the past two seasons.

Hamler and Colburn’s chances of getting picked up by an NFL team is murky moving forward with the NFL owners and players going through a collective bargaining dispute.

With this taking place, NFL teams can’t talk to free agents which puts some former Bulldogs in a tough position until the dispute gets taken care of.

Fresno State still has 27 players on NFL rosters with some of them being undrafted free agents.