Arts awards celebrate recipients

Ceremony, reception took place Saturday

The words “Art in Motion” can mean many things, but Saturday, April 30, it was a way to honor 16 students from the College of Arts and Humanities.

Every year, each department within the College of Arts and Humanities, including philosophy, music, English and mass communication and journalism, choose an undergraduate and graduate student to be selected. These students aren’t just selected for any simple reason. They are chosen for their progression as students and the work in which they excelled. Of course, some of the departments, like theater arts, only have an undergraduate program, meaning only one student is nominated.

“This is probably the most important event produced by the college,” Jose Diaz, the associate dean, said.

Students must be graduating either from a B.A. or M.A. program in order to get nominated by their department. The dean of the college then chooses one undergrad and one graduate student to receive the dean’s medal. After winning the dean’s medal, the student must go up against all the other dean’s medalists chosen from the other colleges on campus. Then a student is chosen out of the pool of Dean’s Medal winners to receive the President’s Medal.

Not just anyone gets nominated for the chance to win the Dean’s Medal.

“The department selects who has excelled in service, school and someone who has overcome a lot,” Diaz said. “A student who embodies what higher education means.”

The event started with a reception in the Conley Art Gallery.

“We held the reception there because of the art and design students have showcased,” Diaz said.

The Dean Vida Samiian gave background information on each person who was nominated as they made their way to the stage. Each nominee said a few words of thanks and for some, it was an emotional endeavor.