Aquatic center set to open fall 2011

Dana Hull/The Collegian

Originally scheduled for a summer 2010 opening, construction of the aquatic center has been delayed and will now be completed by the fall 2011 semester.

Shirley Melikian Armbruster, associate vice president of University Communications, said through email that the delay was not due to a financial issue.

“The delay in the project completion was caused by the excessive amount of rain we experienced during the fall, winter and spring months,” Armbruster said.

Armbruster said the project is on budget at exactly $6,097,000, and the inclement weather delays did not impact the cost of the project.

In a previous Collegian article, Associate Vice President for Facilities Management Robert Boyd explained funding for this type of project comes through bond sales and does not affect student tuition.

Boyd went on to explain that the California State University system has hundreds of millions of dollars to fund construction projects at all CSU campuses and construction of projects and are based on priority.

With the addition of the women’s swimming and diving team, the university’s need for the aquatic center was very high.

In a previous article, Associate Director of Facilities and Events John Kriebs said the high priority was determined because the girls’ swimming and diving team was reinstated, and the pool on campus did not meet NCAA regulation. As a result, the swim team is forced to commute to Clovis North High School for practice and competitions.

Armbruster also explained the pool was approved in order to meet Title IX requirements and to provide a facility that met NCAA regulations for swim competitions.

Armbruster said the current pool does not meet NCAA regulations because there are not enough lanes, there is no timing equipment, no 3-meter diving platform and the facility is not large enough to accommodate teams and fans during competitions.

According to Armbruster, the absence of an up-to-date swim facility also puts the swimming and diving team at a recruiting disadvantage.

Armbruster said the project is in the final phase.

“The next phase of the project will include the construction of the dive tower, the plastering, filling and commissioning of the three pools and the completion of the landscaping,” Armbruster said. “These remaining activities should be complete by Fall 2011.”

Once the aquatic center is completed, the pool in the north gym will be closed and the kinesiology department will employ the facility for aquatic classes. Armbruster said the idea of holding other activities at the aquatic center is still in the construction phase.