‘Dogs to battle for No. 1 seed

Mike Howells / Collegian File Photo

The Fresno State Diamond Bulldogs will conclude their regular season with a home series against New Mexico State along with a home-and-home series with Cal State Bakersfield before the start of the Western Athletic Conference Tournament, which takes place in Mesa, Ariz., this year May 25-28.

The two top seeds will receive byes for the first round of the double-elimination tournament with the No. 3 seed opening against the No. 6 seed and the No. 4 seed playing the No. 5 seed.

The Bulldogs (32-11, 12-7 WAC) are currently in second place in the WAC standings. Pitcher Greg Gonzalez is having a stellar senior season allowing the fewest runs with 12 among WAC starters who have met the minimum required innings pitched. Gonzalez leads in a number of categories: He posts a 1.34 earned run average, the only starter in the WAC to have an ERA lower than 2. His opponents’ batting average is .178 and leads the conference in strike outs with 96. He also is currently second in wins with eight and innings pitched with 80.2. Josh Poytress is currently fourth with a 2.88 ERA.

The Bulldogs have also produced offensively with outfielder Dusty Robinson generating impressive numbers behind the plate, leading the WAC in home runs (11), four more than first baseman Jordan Ribera who is tied for second in the WAC. Robinson also leads the WAC in total bases (101) and slugging percentage (.643).

The Hawai’i Rainbows (27-20, 12-4 WAC) are currently holding on to the top seed in the WAC. They are a team built with speed with four of the top seven stolen base leaders coming from the Rainbows. Hawaii is led by Kolten Wong who currently sits among the leaders in multiple categories: third in batting average (.377), fourth in slugging (.563), third in on-base percentage (.488), third in hits (63), tied for fifth in home runs (6) and third for total bases (94). Wong’s 19 stolen bases leads the WAC and are seven more than the second closest player.

The San Jose State Spartans (30-18, 9-7 WAC) are a team that is built around good pitching. Pitchers Esteban Guzman and Roberto Padilla have both produced for the Spartans this year. Guzman is second in the WAC in ERA (2.59) and third in strikeouts (63). Padilla is third in the WAC in ERA (2.62), second in opponents’ batting average (.217), first in innings (82.1), second in strikeouts and tied for second in wins (2).

The Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (27-24, 9-11 WAC) are a team that has thrived at home, but are a different team on the road. The Bulldogs have produced decent wins at home winning 21 of 29 games, but have only won 6 of 22 on the road. Kyle Roliard leads the team as well as the rest of the WAC in hits.

The New Mexico State Aggies (32-16, 7-9 WAC) are the offensive powerhouse of the conference. The Aggies currently possess the top five spots for runs scored with another tied for sixth. The Aggies have six of the top 10 batting averages with Parker Hipp currently leading all WAC players in batting average (.429) while Tanner Waite sits at second (.403). The Aggies also have the five players in the top 10 in RBIs which includes the top three RBI leaders: Ryan Aguayo (56), Hipp (55) and Zac Fisher (48).

The Nevada Wolf Pack (17-26, 6-9 WAC) and the Sacramento State Hornets (17-33, 4-12 WAC) are battling for the final seed. Both have struggled this season, but whoever wins the final slot has the potential to get hot to succeed in the tournament.