Spring break flights to Mexico resumes

Direct flights to Mexico return to Fresno Yosemite International Airport

Janessa Tyler/The Collegian

Spring break is fast approaching, and Fresno State students will soon be able to take a week off from classes.

Just in time for the late-April break is the return of direct flights from Fresno Yosemite International Airport to Guadalajara, Mexico.

Women’s studies major Erica Hernandez said that while she doesn’t plan on traveling to Mexico soon, it is certainly appealing because of the faster travel time.

“I am positive my family will want to take advantage,” Hernandez said.

AeroMéxico Mexican Airline and Volaris are currently flying passengers between the two cities on a daily basis ”” Fresno and Guadalajara.

Volaris is Mexico’s second largest airline; AeroMéxico is the largest.

The route was previously served by Mexico’s oldest airline, Mexicana, until the company underwent reorganization due to bankruptcy and got rid of many of its flights.

The Fresno to Guadalajara flight was one of the company’s most popular. Since eliminating it, local travelers have had to resort to other options. Travelers can book a flight from Fresno that includes a connecting flight in another airport or fly from other nearby airports that offered nonstop flights.

Another option was to take one of several buses that depart from a number of terminals in the city of Fresno, although the majority of them only go as far as Tijuana. Since Mexicana’s departure last summer, bus companies have seen a rise in passengers and they will certainly see the number of ticket purchases fall once the flights return.

The only bus company that offers trips to Guadalajara from Fresno is Greyhound Lines, Inc.

According to the Greyhound Lines website, Greyhound is offering one round-trip adult ticket for $357.20 throughout the month of April. Though the trip is not direct, it includes transferring onto one or two other buses ”” depending on the direction being traveled.

A ticket agent for the company said they do not plan on lowering the price because of the coming flights.

The trip to Mexico by a bus is more than two days long, and includes a transfer onto another bus along the way. The return journey is just less than one day, and includes two transfers onto other buses. By comparison, both Volaris and AeroMéxico’s nonstop flights will take more than three hours.

Liberal studies major Sarita Lopez said that her mother traveled to Guadalajara in 2010 by a bus.

“I would prefer taking a plane ”” now that flights will be available again,” Lopez said.

Volaris, a low-cost airline, announced early last month that the Federal Aviation Administration had approved their application for international service. They later began accepting reservations for daily flights that will begin on April 14.

The FAA also approved AeroMéxico shortly after. The airline started flights on April 4, giving them a 10-day advantage over Volaris.

An adult round-trip ticket with AeroMéxico from April 20 to 27 is $532.09, including taxes. The same ticket for the same dates with Volaris is $382.09, including taxes and fees. Although these prices are less than a Greyhound bus ticket, they are likely to be introductory prices in order to attract customers.

Passengers at FYI can find the AeroMéxico check-in service counter along with American Airlines and Allegiant Air.