Bulldogs win 10th series on the season

The No. 9 Bulldogs’ nine-game winning streak was snapped by San Francsico, but Fresno State enjoyed another series win.

With the Bulldogs winning Friday’s game 5-3, senior Greg Gonzalez improved to 6-0 on the year. Gonzalez pitched 6.1 innings, allowing three runs and striking out eight batters. Junior Charlie Robertson picked up his ninth save with a perfect final inning.

The Bulldogs broke out of a 3-3 tie in the sixth when Aaron Judge hit an RBI single to bring in Dusty Robinson. Austin Wynns, the team leader in batting average at .394 with a minimum of 25 at-bats, added an RBI double later in the inning. Danny Muno also hit a leadoff home run in the first.

Saturday’s game featured a walk-off comeback win for the Bulldogs. Robinson brought in the game-winning run on a loaded-bases single. With two outs, and men on second and third, Dons’ pitcher Jonathan Abramson relieved pitcher Garrett Luippold. The move did not bring the results that San Francisco had hoped for with Abramson walking the first two batters he faced to bring in the tying run and setting up Robinson to win the game.

Sophomore Justin Haley started for the third time this year went five innings allowing two earned runs. Cody Kendall got the only batter he faced to pop out to second to end the top of the ninth inning.
Saturday’s win put the Bulldogs off to their best 22-game start. Fresno State remains unbeaten this season on games that take place on Friday and Saturday. “It’s exciting to be where we’re at right now,” Jordan Ribera said.

Sunday was bit of a struggle for pitcher Tom Harlan who entered the game with 2.93 ERA as the Bulldogs fell 4-3. The Bulldogs fell behind 4-1 in the fourth in Sunday’s game after the Dons’ Adam Clear and Pete Lavin homered to lead off the second and fourth innings respectively. San Francisco also added a two-run double by Travis Higgs in the fourth inning

Taylor Garrison and Cody Kendall got through the final 5.2 innings of scoreless baseball, but the deficit proved to be too much yesterday.

The Bulldogs were able to gain momentum in the fifth inning after they turned a bases-loaded double play on Stephen Yarrow. In the bottom half of the inning, the ‘Dogs were able to bring in Danny Muno who was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning by playing small ball. With Brennan Gowens batting, Muno stole second then advanced to third on a Gowens fly ball. Muno beat out a throwback to home when Dons’ catcher Higgs threw to first to complete a strike out on a ball that hit the dirt on the third strike. Wynns would add an RBI single in the sixth inning to bring the ‘Dogs to within one.

In the bottom of the ninth Judge walked to lead off the ninth. However, Wynns hit into a double play to second which left the ‘Dogs down to their final out. Pat Hutcheson was able to get the count full before he eventually grounded out to second also.

The Bulldogs have won all eight of their weekend series this year. They have won 10 of their 11 series total. Their lone series-loss came from a one-game series against Cal Poly on Tuesday, March 1.
“We have a high confidence level going into the WAC, and that’s really important,” Muno said.