Universities join together to defend education

Fresno State students will be joining other California State Universities today in a protest of educational budget cuts.

The “Defend Education” movement is a statewide demonstration against the continuing budget cuts that have plagued the higher education system.

Here at Fresno State, students will stage a carnival of games geared on educating students about the $500 million in cuts to the CSU budget, and what students can do to fight back.

Hector Cerda, student organizer for Students for Quality Education, calls it the carnival of mockery games. These games include popping balloons and “pin the tail on the CSU.”

“A lot of the students we are talking to feel like they are helpless ”” like there’s nothing they can do,” Cerda said. “There are things you can do: You can write, you can rally ”” your voice can be heard.”

Due to budget cuts, the CSU system has been forced to lay off more than 3,000 faculty, cut courses and hike student fees.

“We really believe that people who have the decision-making powers have made a mockery of education,” Cerda said. “Everything they have done, especially with the recent increases, has been a burden and has been the opposite of what they are supposed to be doing.”

Fresno State will be demonstrating alongside of CSU Fullerton, Sacramento State, San Francisco State and Sonoma State, all who have their own unique events at their campuses.

The event will take place today from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Free Speech Area and Peace Garden.

CSU FULLERTON

Event:
“The Meaning and Value of Public Education: Renewing a Democratic Vision.” Forum to bring together students along with educators at all levels to discuss a proactive vision for the future, and also to workshop a “Declaration in Defense of Public Education.”

SONOMA STATE

Event:
“Camp Out for Quality Education.” Students will maintain a presence on the school quad throughout the day with many small-scale events planned to draw attention to entertain the crowd and educate the public about public higher education. For example: hula hooping, talk-ins, guest lecturers, symposiums, local bands, painting and other crafts, henna tattoos, board-games, drum circles, letter writing to the governor, chalking and more.

SAN FRANCISCO STATE

Event:
Concerned with the state of public higher education in California students, faculty and staff will join together to show their support for affordability and accessibility in the CSU and community college. This event will feature: Speakers, relevant music and dance acts, spoken word performances, picket sign, banner and T-shirt making as well as letter-writing to legislators and campus administrators.

SACRAMENTO STATE

Event:
Demonstration and dialogue to promote awareness on how the budget cuts are affecting the CSU, specifically Sacramento State’s students. The CSU system is facing a giant budget cut of $500 million dollars, with the possibility of the cuts doubling.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• AnonymousMar 4, 2011 at 3:35 am

Will there be another protest on March 4?