Third time’s a charm for ‘Dogs

Associated Press

The Fresno State men’s and women’s basketball teams started the Western Athletic Conference Tournament looking to be crowned champions, but when it was all said and done that was only the case for one of the teams.

In contrast to the men’s team, the women’s team came into the tournament riding an eight game winning streak. They beat Utah State on Friday to advance to the championship game.

In the WAC championship game, the Dogs’ were set to face the Lady Techsters of Louisiana Tech.

During conference play, the Dogs’ played against the Lady Techsters twice both ended in close losses. In Las Vegas, the stakes were higher, with an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament on the line, and the Dogs’ came through when it mattered most and got that first win in scintillating fashion, 78-76.

Coach Adrian Wiggins described how the team finally got over the hump and beat Louisiana Tech.

“We’ve played them close the last four times and this time we made it work in our favor,” said Wiggins in a phone interview. “It was a great game. La. Tech has a great program. They played hard. It was a great time to have a great day. I was very proud of the team and the effort tonight.”

The team did put in a lot of effort, especially in the final moments of the game with freshman Bree Farley making the winning shot with less than a second remaining.

The win gave the ‘Dogs their fourth WAC Tournament championship in five years and even though Farley wasn’t a Bulldog for the first two WAC championships, she made a difference in this one.

“I actually wasn’t as nervous as I thought I’d be,” Farley, whose winning basket was her first points of the game, said. “We’ve worked on that play so many times throughout the year. I was more nervous about how [La. Tech] was going to react. I’m just happy it worked out.”

Associated Press

With Farley making the biggest basket of the game, coach Wiggins acknowledges that this could lead to more younger players stepping up in the future.

“I think to see Bree Farley have a good game tonight that was big.” Wiggins said. “I think Taylor Thompson needs to keep developing. The reality is we have so much seniors experience that I think our young players just need a chance to grow and learn. Cumulatively, if we just all continue to work in practice hopefully we have a few younger players do that.”

In addition to some of the younger players stepping up, there has been one constant performer for the ‘Dogs, senior guard Jaleesa Ross, who scored 23 points and made five three-pointers and came away with the tournament’s most valuable player award.

Ross’ most recent MVP award brings her total to three for her career after winning one her freshman and sophomore seasons.

With so many players stepping up in the WAC championship game, coach Wiggins described what it will take for the team to get a win in the NCAA Tournament.

“I think we need a good matchup,” Wiggins said. “Let’s hope we get that. We just have to play better and this tournament is about great teams. You have to go there and play great. We’ve probably gone and haven’t shot real well and didn’t rebound hard enough.

The Fresno State men’s basketball team faced a familiar opponent on Wednesday when they played the Nevada Wolf Pack.

During the season, both teams held strong on their home courts with the ‘Dogs earning a close victory at the Save Mart Center and losing a close one in Reno.

With the game at a neutral site, home court advantage would not be an issue in this one. The ‘Dogs kept the game close in the second half cutting the lead at one point to eight after being down by 19 at halftime. But it wasn’t enough as the Wolf Pack pulled away in the end with a 90-80 victory at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas.

Junior Tim Steed led the way for the Dogs’ with 20 points and center Greg Smith chipped in with 14 points and a career-high 20 rebounds.

Those are the things that we have to do better this time.”