Fresno State steps up game for bicyclists

New and improved bike racks have been installed on campus for the convenience of those who ride their bike to school.

The bike racks, which are located next to the new self-repair bicycle station on the west end of the University Student Union, are easier to put bikes into and help prevent theft, when used properly.

Matt Babick, the previous interim administrator for parking and alternative transportation, said the new racks alternate the height of the handlebars, enabling bikes to be parked a lot more easily and efficiently.

“The new racks are better, but some students aren’t using them correctly,” he said. “If students lock their bikes up incorrectly on either the traditional racks or the new ones, the bike can easily be stolen, especially if a cable is used, or when only the front wheel is secured. The bicyclist needs to secure the frame, and a U-lock is much better than a cable.”

In addition to finding the new style racks, Babick thought of and started a bike repair program. When the program begins operating, any student can have their bicycle fixed free of charge. Babick said the idea to offer a free repair service occurred to him one day while he was in the red bike office downstairs in the USU.

“An international student came in to ask if we could fix her bike,” he said. “Our coordinator said we could only fix it if it was a red bike and it wasn’t. It was her own bike. Then she asked if she could borrow a wrench and she was told no, because there were no tools stored at the office to loan out. The student left frustrated that no one could help her with her simple request for a small repair, for her only mode of transportation being her broken bike. I knew then we needed to offer other services with alternative transportation funds, since our alternative programs are minimal, and there are sufficient resources in the citation trust fund.”

Babick said that was also about the time that he thought of the idea to install the two self-repair stations, now located by the USU and residence halls.

While the police chief approved the start of the free repair program, traffic operations still needs to hire two bicycle technicians before the program can take off.

“The tools and parts are bought and the service is ready,” he said. “The only reason the program is on hold is because traffic operations needs to first hire a couple of new student assistants. We even finished restoring an old three wheel bike and cart. It’s pretty much an antique bike which now allows the repair program to be a mobile service.”

Once the program is operating, the plan is to station the mobile cart in a convenient area such as near the USU or the new bike racks. The repair schedule will depend on the hours of availability of the bike technicians.

“The major goal of the program is to help get people to move from their cars to their bicycles, whether it’s one day a week or five days a week,” he said. “If you’re a student, faculty or staff and want your bicycle repaired, you can bring it in.”

For the longer term, Babick said the university is exploring other ideas such as constructing a “bicycle barn” type of building that can provide both secure bike parking and a permanent facility for bike repairs. He initiated a grant request with the air quality district to build such a facility for the university.

“I caught their attention and they said they will consider it,” he said. “We just have to wait and see.”

Any student interested in being a bicycle technician can contact traffic operations at 278-2950.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Task MasterMar 25, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I do not agree with the picture included in The Collegian for correct and incorrect bike locking procedure. The correct way to lock the bike should have the bike’s wheel going over the taller metal frame of the rack. That way, it is easier for the U-lock to lock both the wheel and the frame of the bike, as opposed to the said “correct” way of locking the bike, where the bike’s wheel enters the shorter metal frame of the rack. The U-lock (at least most of it, unless if you have a gigantic lock or a useless rope lock) would not be able to lock both the wheel and the frame of the bike. If more students start locking their bikes the way The Collegian told us how, more bikes will be stolen. Let me grab my wrench…