Forty days and 40 nights of sacrifice

Lent started two days ago on Ash Wednesday and lasts nearly 40 days and 40 nights until its end, the Easter holiday. In the duration of this time period, those who follow this Catholic tradition must give up their utmost temptation and endure the obstacles of self-control to test their own will power.

The tradition of Lent is still firmly followed by those who are faithful believers, but it has also become the perfect excuse for individuals to discipline themselves on a strict regime before bikini season begins.

Business major Forrest Miller admits that he is neither Catholic nor an avid churchgoer, but he said Lent allows him to test his strengths and weaknesses.

“I’m always up for a good challenge,” Miller said. “Lent gives me an opportunity to make an unusual self-sacrifice, and helps me determine the ability of my self-control.”

Although not every college student can find time to fit church into their busy schedules, some do believe that it is important to follow their family’s religious rituals.

Business major Kathryn Mercurio said she is a faithful Catholic. She describes Lent as “the right thing to do.”

“Every Lent season I try to improvise a healthier diet on myself, but I also love setting goals such as having more patience with people and not thinking so negatively,” Mercurio said. “I don’t do it because I want to, I do it because I feel like I have to.”

While some people look to Lent as a trial period to deprive them of some of the things they love most, others look at the occasion and see a deeper meaning.

Marketing and economy major Rebekah Arredondo said she is a firm believer in the Catholic tradition.

“Lent serves as a time to reflect on the sacrifices that were made for us and to focus our energies on being more Christ-like,” Arredondo said.

“Although I live three hours from home, I still choose to attend Ash Wednesday and participate in Lent to carry out my family’s conviction of the Catholic religion.”

The practice begins with Ash Wednesday, which is said to represent the willingness to enter into a protracted period of prayer, fasting, repentance and almsgiving that is called Lent. All of these attributes that are represented in the holiday are devoted to the faith of Jesus Christ.

“It is a part of who I am and makes me more cultured,” Arredondo said.

Whether it is merely an excuse to adjust ones lifestyle, or it is a cherished practice to a personal religious conviction, Lent is widely known and commonly pursued. The timing of Lent is not accidental. It symbolizes the transition from dark nights of winter to longer days of sunshine in the spring and introduces a new season. It also just so happens to fall around one of the most infamous bikini seasons ”” spring break.