Five-person panel appointed in basketball coach search

In the wake of letting go former basketball coach Steve Cleveland, Fresno State Director of Athletics Thomas Boeh released a statement Thursday evening proving he intends to be as thorough as possible in finding a replacement.

In the statement, Boeh said the athletics department has appointed five individuals as part of a screening committee that will serve to conduct background checks and evaluate the pool of eventual candidates to fill Cleveland’s void. Since Cleveland was formally let go on March 17, speculation as to the next leader of Bulldogs basketball would be ensued. Names such as former Texas Tech coach Pat Knight, former Oregon coach Ernie Kent, local coach Vance Walberg and USC associate head coach Bob Cantu surfaced, just to name a few.

But in the statement Boeh also stressed, at least for now, the panel’s search for head coach will be conducted behind closed doors.

“As in most searches of this nature, there is genuine need for discretion and confidentiality throughout the process,” Boeh said. “This is due to the fact that many of the most qualified and attractive prospective candidates — including those individuals that may well prove to be the very best fit for Fresno State – are simply unwilling to participate in a search process where strict confidentiality is not assured.

Cleveland stepped down from his position as head coach after six seasons leading the Bulldogs. Cleveland compiled a 92-98 record during his tenure, which included four straight sub-.500 seasons. Boeh and company said they are fully invested in finding a candidate that will not only accomplish what Cleveland was able to do off the court with successful academic scores and develop players with integrity, but also fill the empty seats in the Save Mart Center and get the Bulldogs into national contention.

“I can report that there has been tremendous interest in the position from numerous highly qualified prospective candidates,” Boeh said. ” Subsequently, the future of the Fresno State’s men’s basketball program will be in very good hands very soon.

$100
$500

$100
$500

DavidMar 27, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Cantu’s a young coach who has been an associate head coach to some of the finest coaches in the league. I don’t know much about Pat Knight, other than who his father is. Walberg has a good following too. Personally, I think Fresno would be lucky to get Cantu with his experience, especially his recruiting skills. He’s recruited and signed several kids that have gone on to be successful in the NBA, like OJ Mayo. Secondly, the guy is a class act, on and off the court.

• AnonymousMar 26, 2011 at 11:16 am

Just pick Walberg already! An already popular local with a very large and faithful fan base- acquired here with years of successful experience- will fill the seats from day-one! If he is running the show, I think he will bring the results Fresno (so desperately!) needs.
    Just like he did at FCC, I am sure he can handle the transition to the next level. It was a mistake not getting him after Lopes!

• AnonymousMar 25, 2011 at 11:45 pm

stop saying that “he stepped down” or “resigned.” This is factually inaccurate. Officially, he was “reassigned” but in reality he was fired.

And young coaches is less important than a good one (which eliminates Pat Knight).

DavidMar 25, 2011 at 11:13 pm

My pick is Cantu. He’s a young 36 and been an assistant under some of the finest coaches in the league. The younger coaches are becoming a new trend. Case in point, VCU. In the sweet 16 with a 33 year old coach.