Experts warn against relief scams

In the aftermath of the 8.9 earthquake that struck Japan, the Better Business Bureau issued a nationwide donor alert for giving to pacific tsunami and Japanese earthquake victims.

In a press release, the BBB stated there were concerns raised about many websites and new organizations that were created overnight allegedly to help victims of the 2004 tsunami.

Northeast BBB president Gary Arnold said that like with most disasters, Americans are eager to step forward with donations to aid the victims and their families.

Arnold warned that Americans must not be too eager and must be careful about their donations

“Unfortunately, we’ve seen time and time again that scammers will try to take advantage of the generosity of the public after a disaster,” Arnold said. “That’s why it’s so important to take your time and do your research before donating to relief effort.”

As relief efforts grow, so may the amount of fraudulent organizations.

“As with every natural disaster, there are unscrupulous people who will attempt to take advantage of the public’s eagerness to help victims,” Arnold said.

Chris Florentino of the Richter Center at Fresno State said that even some well-known organizations that get involved in relief efforts may not be doing what they promise or advertise.

“To be frank, some organizations are better than others,” Florentino said.

Floretino said he is unaware of any student organizations that may have fundraised in relief efforts only to be swindled by a fake charity.

“There are some agencies that will end up using 60 percent on administrative fees, and only 40 percent of what you donate makes it to the victims,” Florentino said.

Floretino said it is for this reason that the Richter Center only works with largely known charitable organizations.

“We want to ensure that the donations provide as much as possible,” he said.

Floretino said the Richter Center is in the process of organizing relief efforts among campus clubs/organizations and the international student services and programs.

Lisa Hammar, director of international student services and programs, said the international students office will be working with relief efforts and will provide as much as possible.

“We are always here for the students and we hope we can help,” Hammar said.

Florentino said that while efforts are being organized, education of proper donations and relief efforts will continue.