Bell, Dunn leave secondary void

Matt Weir/Collegian File Photo

As 2011 spring practice heats back up for coach Pat Hill’s 15th season, some questions loom as to which players will step up and fill a couple critical positions in the defensive secondary.

Fresno State’s pass defense ranked second in the Western Athletic Conference last season, behind only now-departed Boise State. The Bulldogs gave up an average of 208.8 yards per game through the air, due in part to second-team All WAC cornerback Desia Dunn and stalwart safety Lorne Bell.

But with Dunn and Bell now graduated and out of a Bulldog uniform, a group of eager underclassmen are being groomed to fill in.

“The guys that played last year, when [Jermaine] Thomas went down, we played L.J. Jones a lot,” Hill said prior to Sunday’s spring practice at Central High School’s Deran Koligian Stadium. “Really, with Isaiah Green, those are the two most experienced guys. Jermaine Thomas isn’t practicing right now. His knee is not quite ready to go, but it should be ready by the time the season comes.”

Dunn started 12 of 13 games last season, solidifying one cornerback spot. But across the field Hill and the defensive coaching staff rotated quite a few players. After Thomas went down with an injury on the final play against Louisiana Tech, the junior Green started the final five games of the season and Jones saw his fair share of playing time as well.

But with Hill insisting Thomas should be ready to return to action by the time Fresno State squares off with California on Sept. 3, the question lingers as to who will top the defensive secondary depth chart this season.

Hill said if the season began tomorrow, due to injuries Green and Jones would get the nod, but also added spring practice is not a time to find opening-game starters.

An even bigger question lies in who will replace Lorne Bell, the 2010 Fresno State Most Inspirational Player. Bell started all 13 games last year, despite an early-career leg injury that left many wondering if he would ever play football again. Bell led all Fresno State defensive backs in tackles with 78 and added an interception.

Safety Zak Hill, Pat Hill’s son, will return this season coming off knee surgery and is expected to compete with sophomore Derron Smith, who impressed the coaching staff last year as a freshman.

“It could be Derron Smith, who played a lot as a freshman,” Hill said. “Zak [Hill] should be healthy. Terrance Dennis is now healthy. We got a few guys to work for that position.”

After starting all but one game last season, sophomore ball hawk Phillip Thomas will likely fill the other safety position. Thomas led all Bulldogs last season with three interceptions and 12 passes defended.

As a team, Fresno State was eighth in the WAC generating just eight interceptions, only ahead of New Mexico State. The Bulldogs have consistently ranked around the top of the conference in yards allowed per game through the air, but have struggled to stack up interceptions.

Since 2006, the Bulldogs have ranked dead last in the WAC in interceptions except 2009 (sixth) and 2010 (eighth).

Hill also threw out names such as J.B. Dock, Sean Alston, Davon Dunn and Anthony Riggins who could make an impact in this year’s secondary.

Davon Dunn made the jump in the offseason from wide receiver to defensive back, and is the son of former Fresno State great kick returner David Dunn. Hill said he will continue to groom the players until the spring game on April 9 and when fall camp arrives in August.

“That’s giving us time to bring along J.B. Dock and [Sean] Alston and Davon Dunn,” Hill said. “They’re all making really good progress. Anthony Riggins, who sprained his foot, was making really good progress. So right now we’re just trying to make progress with some of the young corners. We really won’t know until the fall who our two-deep is going to be.”