2011 ASI Presidential Candidate Debate

The Collegian hosted the 2011 Associated Students Incorporated Presidential Debate on March 14. The thirty minute Q & A consisted of questions submitted by Fresno State students and moderator, Tony Petersen.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• AnonymousMar 18, 2011 at 11:18 pm

First off I would like to state that I greatly admire the entrepreneurial background of Mr. Harrison, all the things Mr. Sanchez says he’s accomplished for various school affiliations and projects, and the devotion shared by all the candidates to improving our budget deficits. All those things are greatly appreciated by those they represent, and are wonderful assets of a potential student body president. However, I find the marks of a most effective and driven leader to be in Miss Farnesi. In this debate she demonstrates that she is interested in making the dealings of ASI completely transparent and accessible (as addressed in her first question); she emphasizes that she and her slate does not, and will not make promises they can’t keep; and she too is very much interested in fighting tuition hikes and solving budget issues to the best of her abilities. Her academic excellence, work ethics, personal integrity, and compelling leadership skills are all qualities that earned her the Smittcamp scholarship; and those same qualities are precisely what make her the most befitting of the candidates for President.

I was slightly disturbed by a remark Mr. Sanchez made in his closing statement: he felt that “paying for [his] tuition out of pocket” set him apart from his fellow candidates. Where I most certainly see his point (this does in fact make him relatable to a majority of students), and commend him for his hard work and devotion to his education, I find that particular remark a very poor decision if he was looking to outshine his opponents. If I’m not mistaken Mr. Harrison is also paying for his tuition with the money he earns from his job in addition to the money from his parents. Where Mr. Sanchez’s remark really falls short from what he was trying to accomplish is in Miss Farnesi’s case: Miss Farnesi was awarded the Smittcamp, a scholarship that completely pays for 4 years of her college education; a scholarship that is awarded only to those who demonstrate academic excellence, astounding work ethics, a vast amount of extracurricular involvement, and leadership capabilities well beyond the average student. I don’t know about everyone else, but I certainly want the individual representing my university to possess every single one of those qualities.

• AnonymousMar 18, 2011 at 11:18 pm

MannyMar 23, 2011 at 5:29 am

Just because you have all those doesn’t make you a good leader. A lot of things she was saying in her campaigning were more lies then truths. Also I feel like the current ASI administration failed completely in trying to be representative of the students. A good leader talks to the people he or she is suppose to represent and sees what campus issues are from there point of view.