THE TWO REASONS WHY IT’S OKAY TO HATE VALENTINE’S DAY

Whatever happened to superhero cards taped onto a box of Sweethearts being enough?

Love does not equal money. But today, the actions of the average American will have you thinking otherwise. The National Retail Foundation has the numbers to prove it.

The NRF 2011 Valentine’s Day Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey discovered that in America, it’s not the thought that counts ”” it’s the damn gifts.

1. THE INDUSTRY

American’s are predicted to spend $1.7 billion on flowers, $1.5 billion on candy and $3.4 billion in a romantic restaurant. The average person will shell out $116.21 on traditional Valentine’s Day merchandise this year, up 12.8 percent over last year’s $103.00. Consumers will shell out $3.5 billion on jewelry this Valentine’s Day, up from an estimated $3 billion last year. Total holiday spending is expected to reach $15.7 billion.

2. THE SEXPECTATION

Women are predicted to spend $75.79 on Valentine’s Day, whereas men are predicted to spend $158.71. What is with the gift gap? Perhaps it has to do with the 20 percent increase in condom sales. Viagra, lingerie and contraceptive sales jump five-fold come February. As the sex market goes limp in March, at home pregnancy tests reach an all time high.

The NRF 2011 Valentine’s Day Consumer Intentions and Actions Survey, conducted for NRF by BIGresearch, was designed to gauge consumer behavior and shopping trends related to Valentine’s Day. The poll of 8,913 consumers was conducted from January 4-11, 2011. The consumer poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 1.0 percent.
$100
$500

$100
$500

• P

PhilosotrollFeb 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I’m actually a bit of a softy for Valentine’s Day. I like the idea of having a prescribed day where one is expected to at least attempt a certain level of romanticism. Perhaps it’s something that should be done “by the seat of the pants,” but as someone who sucks at that sort of thing, it’s nice to have it built into the calender. Admittedly, being single on Valentine’s Day is annoying.

That said, the sales statistics for Valentine’s Day always manage to make me laugh. The 20% increase in condom sales is not that surprising, nor is the game in spending between men and women, but it is always funny to see the numbers.

• P

PhilosotrollFeb 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm

• AnonymousFeb 14, 2011 at 3:51 pm

The reason that men spend over twice as much as women is because we’re usually in trouble with our significant other for any number of transgressions. Spending $150+ gives the appearance that we’re at least somewhat remorseful.

• AnonymousFeb 14, 2011 at 3:51 pm

• AnonymousFeb 14, 2011 at 8:06 am

Sounds like someone’s jelly ; ) You mad, bro?

• AnonymousFeb 14, 2011 at 8:06 am

• AnonymousFeb 14, 2011 at 8:06 am