Students ‘give blood the easy way’

Kyle Lowe/The Collegian

The Central California Blood Center kicked off its first blood drive for the spring semester last night.

The blood drive will continue today and tomorrow from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at five different locations. Blood mobiles will be parked at the University Student Union, the Peters Business building, the Kremen School of Education building, Engineering East and at Maple Hall.

The blood center visits Fresno State’s campus four times a year.

Lynn Stone, donor recruiter for the center, said they hope at least 700 students stop by in order to reach their goal of 550 pints.

“These drives are very important to us,” she said. “We bring blood into the center which brings it out to the hospitals.”

Stone said that even people who are diabetic or are taking medication for high blood pressure can donate as well. People who are most commonly turned away are those who have received tattoos or piercings in the last year.

Donating can take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour, but most of the time is spent simply filling out paperwork.

“Nobody likes to have a needle stuck in their arm, but you’re saving lives, and you can’t put a price on that,” she said. “We consider all our donors heroes.”

Julio Lopez, a freshman majoring in kinesiology, donated blood for the first time last night.

“I hear you save a life ”” actually, more than just one,” he said. “So why not? It’s only a few minutes of my day.”

Katherine Bendall, a sophomore majoring in anatomy, has donated at least five times already.

“I donate every time they are here,” she said.

To donate, students, staff and faculty must weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good general health. Stone recommends eating a good meal, drinking plenty of water and avoiding caffeine before donating.

Donors receive coupons from local and on-campus vendors and a T-shirt.