Save Mart Center traffic fiasco

The Save Mart Center’s “Get Motivated” event caused some chaos for Fresno State students and staff.

Heavy traffic caused delays for students getting to their classes, and even resulted in some classes being cancelled.

The Save Mart Center issued a formal apology to students, faculty and staff.

“Our goal is to bring a variety of events to the building and our community, but, in hindsight, this decision did not serve the best interests of our campus community … which is our priority,” Debbie Adishian-Astone, associate vice president for Auxiliary Operations, said in the statement. “On behalf of the Association and the Save Mart Center, I apologize for the problems caused by today’s event and I want you to know that we will closely evaluate future non-University events of this size to be held on weekdays and during the University’s regular business hours.”

In response to the traffic problems, the University Police Department sent several e-mails to students and staff warning them of the congestion and suggesting areas to enter and exit campus that may not be so crowded.

The university also relaxed parking in yellow parking lots and metered parking to aid students in the problem.