SAME-SEX COUPLES WILL REQUEST MARRIAGE LICENSES TODAY

Michael Uribes/The Collegian

It may not come as a surprise that one of the busiest times of year to obtain a marriage license is Valentine’s Day. However, with Proposition 8 still in legal limbo, not every couple is granted the right to marry.

Prop. 8 amended the California constitution to recognize only marriages between a man and a woman, only to be struck down by a federal court. It is currently in the process of being appealed.

In conjunction with Freedom to Marry Month, Marriage Equality USA created a nationwide protest to demonstrate the effect of Prop. 8.

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender couples in Fresno will meet outside the County Clerks Office today to request marriage licenses even though they know they will still be denied.

“It’s really a visual event,” Jason Scott, Fresno county chapter leader for Marriage Equality USA, said. “ What we do is bring in same-sex couples who would like to be married and bring them down on Valentine’s Day to highlight the fact they can’t get married.”

Julia Scott, who has no relation to Jason Scott, is the president of the United Student Pride Club at Fresno State. Julia Scott believes that Valentine’s Day is the ideal day for the protest.

“Since it’s a day focusing on couples and relationships, it’s an appropriate day,” Scott said. “It’s a good time to think about everybody’s version of love.”

On the day of the protest, same-sex couples and supporters will gather outside the County Clerks Office at noon. Each couple will give a brief description on why they would like to get married and what marriage means to them. The couples then enter the County Clerks Office to request a marriage license.

A county clerk will then deny their request.

“When the law permits same-sex marriages we will perform the marriage,” county clerk Victor Salazar said. “Currently the law does not permit it.”

After the couples are denied licenses, they are welcomed to participate in a commitment ceremony performed by a clergy member.

“Last year there were tears,” Jason Scott said. “It’s upsetting for people to be told they are less than somebody else.”

Julia Scott and her girlfriend, Christina Rea, plan to attend the event to show their support for same-sex couples.

“If Christina and I were ready to get married on Valentine’s Day, we couldn’t file the same report and get the same treatment as a straight couple,” Julia Scott said.

Although Julia Scott is attending the protest, she doesn’t believe that it is the best way to show the effect that Prop. 8 has on same-sex couples.

“I appreciate that it’s a peaceful demonstration that’s meant to draw attention to the disparity between straight couples and gay couples, but I’m not really for protesting because I’d rather set an example everyday by showing who it’s affecting,” Julia Scott said. “I’d rather promote what I’m for.”

Rea, who is also a Fresno State student and member of the United Students Pride club, hopes the protest will affect the community in a positive way.

“Hopefully people will be able to think about it and maybe consider how it’s different for other people,” Rea said. “And for gay people to aspire to something and stand up for what they believe in.”