RAMIREZ TAKES MORE HEAT AT ASI MEETING

Dana Hull/The Collegian

Wednesday’s Associated Students, Inc. meeting picked up where it left off two weeks ago, with ASI President Pedro Ramirez as the topic of discussion. Ramirez was absent from the meeting due to an “academic commitment,” but the controversy that has surrounded him lately was unmistakably present.

Fresno State senior Neil O’Brien was the only one to speak during the initial public comment segment. O’Brien displayed a large photo of Ramirez’s blood-soaked Fresno State parking pass lying on the ground near the truck Ramirez was driving in last month’s highly-publicized crash.

“Fresno State sold parking passes to illegal aliens who could not drive legally,” O’Brien said.

The meeting was relocated from the University Student Union to the third floor of the Henry Madden Library. Though previously posted, many were not aware of the change, and this resulted in some members of the public arriving after the public comment session had ended.

The student senate approved $2,000 in funding to Club Verge for publication of their magazine “On the Verge.” The magazine revolves around art and design, and is said to reflect both the Fresno State student body and the community of Fresno.

California State Student Association Executive Director Miles Nevin addressed the senate. He was in attendance “to explain to us exactly what CSSA is, what it does, and what their opinion of us is,” ASI Executive Vice President Selena Farnesi said.

Nevin spoke for a few minutes, and then stated that he would be happy to answer any questions concerning CSSA.

Kristal Oliver, who introduced herself as Fresno State alumni, asked Nevin if CSSA “had paid for Pedro [Ramirez] to go to Washington, D.C. [in support of the DREAM Act during the fall semester].”

Farnesi asked the senate if they would like “for the CSSA representative to answer the question.” A deafening silence filled the room after her question.

“I need a yes or no, senate,” Farnesi said. More silence.

“The public deserves to know,” Oliver said.

Farnesi asked for a show of hands from the senate as to whether they would like Nevin to answer the question, but there was no immediate response.

Farnesi told Nevin that he did not have to answer the question.

“I’m happy to answer it,” Nevin said. “The California State Student Association did pay for Pedro to go to Washington D.C. this fall. We were happy to do so.”

Nevin said that CSSA sent Ramirez, so that he could advocate on part of the DREAM Act. He went on to say that CSSA also supported AB 540, which allows California residents who are in the United States illegally to pay in-state tuition at UC and CSU if they meet certain criteria.

Mary Lou Bonneau-Rodriguez asked Nevin if CSSA had “paid for Pedro’s attorney, too.” Nevin replied that they had not.

O’Brien asked why ASI needed to be part of CSSA, citing Fresno State President John Welty’s appeal for ideas to cut expenditures.

The Senate approved adding a regular meeting to its calendar of meetings.

After the meeting, Bonneau-Rodriguez said that she was upset by the conduct of many of those who support Ramirez.

“They have a gang mentality,” she said. “They’re militant.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

• T

TimJan 9, 2013 at 12:47 pm

The “people indigenous to this land” were not Mexican or hispanic. The Californios were not native Americans; they were hispanics who had populated the land just the same as Americans have for two centuries. Mexico, as a country, only held possession of California for about 25 years, and holds no legitimate claim to it. Claims by Americans of latin descent and Mexican nationals who illegally occupy the state are illegitimate and have no basis in truth or reality.

• AnonymousFeb 20, 2011 at 4:19 am

It’s safe to assume that none of the current ASI senators have future political ambitions. Their silence on the Ramirez matters is tacit approval of his violations of the law and his racist posting on his website. That weakness will haunt the senators if they ever try a run for public office in the future. When it came time to stand up for what was right, these ASI senators shirked that responsibility.

• R

rrjennFeb 14, 2011 at 12:47 am

alexanderberkman indigenous my azz! This is America and if you bleeding heart liberals don’t like our borders why don’t you just go away to some other land you do like.

• R

Rachel GuessFeb 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I guess there are always going to be delusionals like alexander below. It’s okay Alexander. Soon California will be all yours because all those ‘white Americans’ are and have been leaving the state. It’s called ‘white flight’ and started a few years ago when all those ‘white Americans’ living there realized that the liberal agenda and illegals were going to run the state into bankruptcy…like Mr. Ramirez here paying in state tuition which is subsidized by the taxpayers. That’ll just leave you and the ones that want to pick your pocket through the public entitlement programs. You’ll be paying 80% taxes soon with anarchy soon to follow when those “indigenous supporters of equality, dignity and justice take to the streets” demanding more. Good Luck! LOL

• AnonymousFeb 12, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Yeah, it’s called capitalism. It’ll do anything for a buck!

• AnonymousFeb 12, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Hey neil, get a life!! Nobody cares about your theatrics anymore. And if they do, they are just e-supporters. They wont come out to the street for you…. The “militants” or gangsters are the only ones willing to go to the streets…. And i think the people that Bonneau-Rodriguez was speaking of are supporters of equality, dignity, and justice. Not just Ramirez. They’re supporters of the people who were indigenous to this land (which are not white Americans).

• AnonymousFeb 13, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Neil O’Brian has a life! And his supporters are growing all over the Country!
      So what if we don’t live in Neil’s area—-we back Neil all the way!
      Alexander Berkman? I’ll bet you have a Spanish surname like I do right?

Even Hispanics can’t stand illegal aliesn on U.S. soil!!! There are plenty of us Hispanics
      that support Neil!

Get lost Pedro and the rest of you INVADERS that have no business here.

JasperFeb 14, 2011 at 6:57 am

The people that Bonneau-Rodriguez are speaking of are anti-American and pro-illegal immigration.