Personal Brand Week launches today

PricewaterhouseCoopers, one of the largest professional services firms nationwide, is giving students another chance to learn what it takes to make it in the job market after they graduate.

Starting today, PwC is hosting its second annual Personal Branding Week, which is a virtual career event that gives college students nationwide the tools and techniques they need to learn to get a job in a very competitive job market.

“Creating a unique personal brand helps job candidates differentiate themselves,” Paula Loop, US and global talent leader for PwC said. “Personal branding is absolutely invaluable in today’s highly competitive environment.”

Campus recruiting leader Amy Thompson said that Personal Branding Week teaches students how to demonstrate and articulate the traits that would make them stand out to potential employers.

“It is really designed to help people identify their unique traits that make them valuable in their search for a job,” she said. “[Personal Branding Week] is for anybody in any major who would be looking for a job or looking for ways to enhance, determine and define what their strengths are.”

Personal Branding Week is a five-day campaign that will focus on a different topic everyday, from learning how to build your own network to knowing what employers look for.

Thompson said students don’t necessarily need to attend all five virtual events to benefit from the advice they have to offer.
“Maybe they have a great network and know how to write, but they need help in their elevator speech or online makeover,” she said.

On day 3, Holly Paul, recruiting leader for PwC, will host a live chat so students can get advice from a real person, whether it be how to land an internship or how to enter into a particular industry they are interested in.

On Friday, students will then be able to enter a contest to win $5,000.

“The contest is open to any undergrad who is willing to put together a 30-second video, which we would term their elevator speech,” Thompson said. “This is their 30-second pitch about who they are. They can post it and win $5,000.”

Students have from Friday, Feb. 11 until Friday, Mar. 25 to submit their video entries. The winner will be announced in April.