Hungry students disagree about new library food rules

Mike Howells/The Collegian

Because Fresno State is home to one of the top agriculture departments in the nation, it does get its fair share of unwanted guests such as cockroaches and rodents around campus.

One place where they are certainly not welcome is the Henry Madden library. Last fall the library implemented new policies that limit students consuming food items to the second floor.

There was some speculation around campus that the policy had to do with some of the unwanted guests.

David Tyckoson, Associate Dean of Library Services, said the new library has never had a pest problem and the policy change was not made to limit pests.

“We changed the food rules mainly because we had complaints from students that food and noise were in areas they didn’t want it,” Tyckoson said. “We set it up that the second floor you can have anything you want and other floors you can have a drink and snacks, but nothing from Subway and Panda Express and so on.”

Tyckoson said that there have been a few instances of a small number of ants, but there hasn’t been any roaches or rodents in the new library.

“Pests can come in and it’s something we are keeping an eye out for and we have been very fortunate it hasn’t happened so far,” Tyckoson said. “We hope people don’t leave a mess laying around because that what’s going to attract them the most. If you just leave food around on the table, [pests] will come in and go after it.”

Business major Cassie Wilson said she studies in the library about three times a week and has never seen any pest problems in the library. She does not like the new food rules.

“I think you should be able to eat wherever you want,” Wilson said. “I wasn’t distracted by other students eating and if it did make me hungry I just went to get something to eat.”

Nursing major Laura Winter said students should be able to eat wherever they want because some students may spend a lot of time there and need to eat while they are studying, even if it is in a quiet area.

Other students have mixed feelings about the rules.

Kristen Grottkau, a liberal studies major, said she has never seen any pests in the library and believes food consumption and purchases contribute to noise in the library.

“The area by Starbucks gets so loud that when I go into there to study, I can’t,” Grottkau said.

Although Grottkau likes the quiet areas in the library, she doesn’t think having food in different parts of the library will hurt.

“Even before the food rules, I never had a problem finding a quiet place to study,” she said.

Tyckoson said that there is always a possibility the food rules may change again, but as of right now many students like them the way they are now.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• K

Kristy KollerFeb 15, 2012 at 6:09 am

Wow!! Food Library is very good idea.

bankruptcy attorney phoenix

• AnonymousFeb 4, 2011 at 11:33 pm

It’s a library, not a cafeteria. If students need to eat food while in the library they can move to an approved area, stay for the amount of time it takes to eat, and then move back. Eating food is a distraction to other students for a number of reasons. The one that has already been pointed out is the crinkling of wrappers and the popping of soda cans. If one or two people do it, it doesn’t matter that much, but if there is a room full of students crinkling chip pouches it constitutes serious noise pollution. Another problem is the smell. Whiffing kung pao chicken, oily subway sandwiches, and coffee can be nauseating to some students who are sensitive. Distraction is only part of the problem. There is litter and damage to library property including spills on carpets, books, and expensive equipment. The easiest solution is to eat in the appropriate areas quickly and get back to studying. If this still bothers you, you are welcome to check out a book and study at home or in The Pit where eating okay.

• AnonymousFeb 4, 2011 at 11:33 pm

• AnonymousFeb 4, 2011 at 11:33 pm

• AnonymousFeb 4, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I personally don’t mind the new food policy because it keeps the library clean and lowers the volume as well. Also, it keeps the aroma smelling fresh and clean rather than stuffy and smelling like food. Aside from that, I really don’t like how people leave their mess or stains on the table after they’re done.

To me, the library is a place to study and not a place to eat actual meals or live like I’m at home. I think we are actually fortunate that we are even allow to eat snacks or meals in designated areas.

• AnonymousFeb 4, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Students like them the way they are now? You’ve got to be kidding me…no one likes being restricted to one place to enjoy their meal, nonetheless, 2nd floor is always filled with students and noise of all sort. People that actually can study and eat at the same time can’t because of these new rules. Put a poll box and ask the students who are “actually” in the library to voice out and we’ll see if they agree with this.

AlexFeb 4, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Let us not forget what libraries are intended for, to study and check out materials for their classes or personal enjoyment. And these news have been in place for close to a year now, they hardly count as “new”.

AlexFeb 4, 2011 at 5:37 pm

As an employee of the library, I disagree with this article completely. Based on what I have seen; Starbucks cups, fast food restaurant wrappers/bags laid across tables and left in the stacks, it is completely necessary to have visitors to the library contain their food to specific areas.