Gonzaga, Oregon State headline baseball opening weekend

Matt Weir/The Collegian

The 2011 Fresno State baseball season opens the 2011 season today with a two-game series against the Gonzaga Bulldogs.

This is both teams first game of the season. The Fresno State Bulldogs enter this year building on a Western Athletic Conference regular-season champions from a year ago, while the Gonzaga Bulldogs are trying to improve on their 20-36 record.

Fresno State’s Jordan Ribera, ranked No. 2 on collegebaseballs360.com’s first baseman to watch, looks to build on his nation leading 27 home runs in 2010. He also batted .343 along with leading the team in runs batted in and total bases.

“This is one of our better teams that we’ve had and we have the talent to compete with anybody this year,” Ribera said.

The opening-night starter for the Bulldogs will be Derek Benny.

“Benny has pitched a lot of big games for us,” head coach Mike Batesole said.

Gonzaga will more than likely use Marco Gonzales, Ryan Carpenter or Tyler Olson in the two games that they will play against Fresno State.

Benny, a junior, was a 12-game starter last year and continues to improve his craft. As a freshman, Benny faced UC Irvine when Fresno State played in its last NCAA Regional Tournament.

“You look back at the past sometimes but you can’t dwell on it,” Benny said. “You got to start with a new beginning each year and just do your best.”

Fresno State also has Garrett Weber and Brennan Gowens returning this year hoping to replicate last year’s numbers where they batted .387 and .359 respectively. Also the team’s runs leader Danny Muno will be back. This will be the last time that Muno, Andy Qualls, Ribera and Weber will take the field on opening day at Fresno State together. Also, in their final year of eligibility are pitchers Gene Escat and Greg Gonzalez.

There will be a chance that the weather will not let the games get under way do to the growing chance of rain.

“We’re just so happy that we’re getting close to opening day that if we got to put that tarp on and off a few times each day will be happy to do it,” Batesole said.

Gonzalez is set to pitch Saturday against Gonzaga, followed by Tom Harlan on Sunday against Oregon State. A starter is yet to be penciled in for the final game against Oregon State on Monday.

Fresno State will be without junior outfielder Dusty Robinson, who will still be sitting out the first five games.

“Dusty is one of the best players in the country,” Batesole said. “He might be one of the best two or three outfielders in the country, we’re going to miss him considerably this first weekend.”

This weekend Fresno State, Gonzaga and Oregon State will play each other twice during a four-day stretch that takes place at Beiden Field.
The Bulldogs’ will meet again on Saturday after Gonzaga’s early game with Oregon State. On Sunday Oregon State and Gonzaga will finish off their two game meeting.