Celebrate V-Day a new way

What is love?­ According to my understanding, love is when we show compassion, affection and thoughtfulness to another human being.­ And this Valentine’s Day I think we should all ask ourselves this insightful question: What is love?

It is not that I’m a miserable or unromantic person, but rather I am a very caring person and loving human being.­

Furthermore, I am glad to say I hate Valentine’s Day and everything associated with it, especially the amount of money connected to it, but I decided to put a spin on this year’s Valentine’s Day and give it a chance.

After all, Valentine’s Day is about love, supposedly.

When we think of Valentine’s Day, we usually think of roses, heart-shaped boxes of chocolates, love cards and Cupid.­ Well, let’s leave Cupid out of this; I think he’s adorable.

Anyways, what if we decided to make Valentine’s Day more than flowers, candy and bent paper?­ What if we decided to make it about “loving out loud”?­What if we decided to make it about extending a loving and caring hand to those who are going through adversity, hardships or have lost all hope in life?

We have too many homeless, hungrey and underpriveleged people living within the United States.­­­­­­­

The National Geographic reported that in 2009 Americans spent nearly $15 billion on Valentine’s Day.­ And the National Retail Federation expects that this amount will increase by 7 percent with the average consumer spending $100 on this “special” day.

Here comes my spin: Why not do something different on this Valentine’s Day?

What do I mean by this? Well, how about spending the money on an important purpose, such as donating it to the Marjaree Mason Center, the Community Food Bank, Catholic Charities, Poverello House or an organization of your choice?­

So, instead of wasting money on flowers that will die or chocolates that will be long gone before you realize it, donate it and make a difference in someone’s life.­

Make an impact on someone’s living condition, an impact on an abused woman or an impact on an underprivileged child.­­­­­­­­
­
And now you might be thinking, “How do I make my couple happy?”­

As far as I know, money doesn’t buy genuine feelings, and therefore I can guarantee that that special person in your life will love simply being with you on this special day, with or without gifts.­

Pop some popcorn and watch a romantic comedy.­ Make a “mixed-tape” and listen to it while lying down next to each other.­ Take a walk in the park and stop by the playground.­ Write a love letter and read it to one another.­ Search for the brightest star and make it yours.­ Make a coupon book of favors.­

Have a cup of coffee while sharing why you still love each other.­ Dance with one another as if it was your last dance.­ But above all, love each other for who you are and not for what you give each other.­ For the best gift of all is love itself.­

And if you donate that money to an organization, the one that you would have wasted on a gift, the feeling of knowing you did something good is worth it.­ You and your couple can feel good about each other, especially knowing that you made someone’s life a lot easier.­

I mean, if those billions of dollars could be donated to an agency imagine how many people would be helped, just imagine.­­­­­­­­­­­

Let an underprivileged child, a survivor of domestic violence, or a homeless man be your valentine this year.­

Extend a loving hand to those who really need it because the truth is that that special person in your life knows you love them.­

So, before you go buying a last minute gift for that special person, think.­ And if you already bought them something, return it and donate the money to an important cause.­

I’m pretty sure that your couple will not mind not receiving a gift after you explain the purpose behind you being merchandise-less.

Let your gift to that special someone be love while helping those in dire need of a helping and loving hand.­