Award-winning author visits Fresno State

Author Terry McMillan packs Satellite Student Union

Best-selling author Terry McMillan spoke at the Satellite Student Union Saturday night about her latest book “Getting to Happy,” the long awaited sequel to “Waiting to Exhale.”

The production was funded by the Instructionally Related Activities Board and hosted by the Martin Luther King Jr. Visiting Scholars Committee.

McMillan is the author of many popular books and is probably most recognizable as the author of “How Stella Got Her Groove Back,” which was later adapted as a hit movie.

McMillan was introduced by Dr. DeAnna Reese and received a warm welcome onto the stage as the audience stood up in applause and one member of the audience shouted out “Welcome to Fresno!”

McMillan read for about 30 minutes from two excerpts of “Getting to Happy.” Each of the excerpts focused on one of the book’s characters, Bernadine and Robin.

Whitney Jenkins, who helped coordinate an exclusive reception before the event, said though she hasn’t read “Getting to Happy” yet, she read some of McMillan’s books before. “It was cool to be able to get an idea of what the books were like,” Jenkins said. “Hearing it read from the perspective of the author was way better.”

USU productions student director Dana Elkins said there was a lot of positive feedback regarding the reception. McMillan attended the reception and met and took pictures with those attending, including many student leaders.

After reading both excerpts there was a question and answer session, in which one audience member asked about how McMillan goes about writing at her desk.

“I immerse myself in these characters’ lives,” McMillan said. “I take whatever issues they are having and whatever struggles they are facing and I take it very seriously.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

• AnonymousFeb 14, 2011 at 3:44 pm

“How Stella Got Her Groove Back” was McMillan’s boast-a-thon about how this middle-aged woman landed a younger (20 years old) man for a husband on a trip to Jamiaca. Turns out that the young man was an opportunist: He’s gay, and he proceeded to reel in a green card from the U.S. government and a million dollars from McMillan in a divorce settlement. Across the globe, people of every color and from all walks of life were seen rolling their eyes and chuckling at McMillan’s naiveté.

• AnonymousFeb 14, 2011 at 3:44 pm