Women looking for second-half surge

Illustration by Michael Uribes

Repeating a 19-game win streak and arguably the most successful season in Fresno State women’s basketball history is no small order.

But before the season began, head coach Adrian Wiggins said that through all the wins and success from 2009-10, the two losses the ‘Dogs closed out the year with didn’t sit well.

“It’s great motivation,” Wiggins said. “This team does a good job of looking at their mistakes and their setbacks and learning from it.”

Wiggins’ preseason assertion of his team in situations of adversity couldn’t help more this season. The Bulldogs suffered a triple-overtime thrilling loss at home on Jan. 13 to Louisiana Tech, Fresno State’s first regular-season conference loss since March 2, 2009.

The Lady Techsters, who have won the last two matchups with Fresno State, pose the biggest threat to the Bulldogs’ chances at repeating as Western Athletic Conference regular-season champions. In the Bulldogs’ last two losses to Louisiana Tech, they gave up an average of 46-percent shooting and were outrebounded by double digits both times.

But if the team follows through on Wiggins’ comments, a showdown in two weeks in Rustin, La., may decide who wears the WAC crown. The ever-growing rivalry between Fresno State and Louisiana Tech is becoming the heavyweight fight of interconference play.

Midway through the season, point guard Jaleesa Ross and forwards Hayley Munro and Rosie Moult all average double-figure scoring. Ross needs just 21 more points to become the school’s all-time scoring leader.

But beyond the Bulldogs’ “Big Three” lies the question: Where is the size under the basket? Wiggins has just one player on his roster over six feet tall with legitimate experience in post play, leaving Fresno State on the short end of the rebound column on most nights.

But something fans can count on is Fresno State coming on strong in the second half of the season. Wiggins has made his money finishing seasons strong in the past, and has a group of seniors that have a bitter enough taste in their mouth from yesteryear to get the job done.