Best Super Bowl for the next 730 days

Enjoy this year’s big game folks, because the National Football League probably won’t be having one for another 730 days.

The Super Bowl on Feb. 6 will likely be the last one football fans will see until 2013, thanks to an almost certain lockout.

Sad to say, but because the players, owners, front office, league officials, you name it, can’t come to an agreement, it may be a while until we see the biggest game in all of sports unfold.

That being said, football fans like you and I should be thankful we’re in for the most intriguing matchup, at least on paper, of the past decade.

That’s because Super Bowl XLV doesn’t feature any one-hit wonders like the Buccaneers, Panthers or Seahawks. No media-dominating, feel-good stories like the New Orleans Saints. What the millions of fans across America will get is, arguably, the two professional football franchises with the richest traditions in the game.

There’s Green Bay and the cheeseheads that are littered across the states, led by a quarterback who had to sit through one of the most humiliating NFL Drafts in recent memory. Aaron Rodgers has had the last laugh, leading the Pack to their first big dance in FIFTEEN years. Brett who?

Green Bay in fact won the very first Super Bowl, and the second, then the 32nd. The Packers have won 12 NFL championships in all. But for the largest fan base in American sports, it’s been a while since the green and gold has hoisted the trophy named after its legendary coach in the ‘60s ”” Vince Lombardi.

There just happens to be another team playing in nine days, the only organization that can fit Super Bowl rings on more than one hand.

Yes, if there is any team in the league that rivals Green Bay for rich tradition, especially recently, it’s the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Steelers have had three, THREE, coaches in the 45 years of Super Bowl history. Before any of you Oakland Raiders fans gripe about tradition, the black and silver have had three coaches since 2007. The Cowboys? Four this decade. Don’t even get me started on the 49ers, which are on their fifth coach in eight seasons.

What Lombardi is to the Packers, the Rooney family is to the Steelers. The Rooneys started the organization, and continue to run the show to this very day. This isn’t Bill Belichek against Peyton Manning. This is Lambeau against Lebeau (Pittsburgh’s Hall of Fame defensive coordinator).

So while the owners, NFL and players continue to bicker like fourth graders on the playground, kick back and enjoy the Super Bowl the way it should be run.

And when Rashard Mendenhall high fives Franco Harris on the sideline after a touchdown, or Aaron Rodgers shows Bart Starr his favorite heavyweight belt, somewhere Vince Lombardi will be looking on, or maybe Pittsburgh’s legendary first leader Chuck Noll for that matter.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• AnonymousJan 29, 2011 at 7:44 am

Good story! In the age of coach swaps (America has always had blame issues!) it was a refreshing insight to remind of the Pitt tradition.
    Beware of the Packers though……Rogers is a NorCal talent that has wreaked some of the best!