ASI PRESIDENT RAMIREZ THREATENS RESIGNATION AT SENATE MEETING

Eye surgery could take him out of office

Kyle Lowe/The Collegian

Associated Students, Inc. President Pedro Ramirez was once again the main topic of discussion at Wednesday’s ASI meeting. Ramirez revealed that he may resign from office if surgery is necessary for an eye injury that he received in a traffic accident on Jan. 9.

Formal reviews had been scheduled for the offices of Ramirez and Vice President of Finance Cesar Sanchez, but the actions were postponed by the student senate after the American Civil Liberties Union questioned the legality of the process.

With a number of media present, attendance was standing-room only. The public comment session occasionally became raucous, with Fresno State senior Neil O’Brien speaking first.

O’Brien has paperwork verifying that a Pedro Ramirez with the same birth date and address as the ASI president is registered to vote in Tulare County.

“Illegally registering to vote is, I believe, a federal offense,” O’Brien said, “which I believe is a felony.”

Federal laws authorize the prosecution of non-citizens for registering and voting in elections. Aliens can be prosecuted under 18 U.S.C. § 1015(f), which criminalizes making a false statement or claim about citizenship “in order to register to vote or to vote in any Federal, State, or local election (including an initiative, recall, or referendum),” and under 18 U.S.C. § 911, which prohibits making a false claim of citizenship. The penalty can be a fine, imprisonment not more than five years or both.

O’Brien went on to question whether certain members of ASI had been holding “secret meetings” about whether it was legal to use funds from California State Student Association to fly Ramirez to Washington, D.C. last year in support of the DREAM Act, and how someone in the country illegally was able to board an airline and fly across the country in the first place.

“Students should know that they paid for Pedro Ramirez to fly to Washington, D.C.,” O’Brien said.

O’Brien then questioned whether Ramirez was “really illegal,” or if he was “legal, and lying.”

A procession of speakers from both sides of the political aisle took their place at the microphone.

“I’m Mexican, and I’m tired of people always putting us down,” one woman said. “So just shut the [expletive] up,” to a man who asked. This was in response to a man who asked, “If Mexico was so great, why did [Ramirez’s parents] come here?”

Jason Carns of the Fresno Stonewall Democrats spoke in favor of Ramirez, reading a statement that said, “…both Mohandas Gandhi and Martin Luther King believed that we should defy laws that are wrong.” He said that any senators who voted to remove Ramirez “will be viewed as being aligned with the racist, neo-Nazi elements.”

Ron Arteno, who is coordinator for the Auberry Branch of the Central Valley Tea Party, explained that “a citizen from another state has to pay a higher rate than an illegal alien,” and that legal resident aliens have to pay higher tuition than Ramirez does.

“We’ve seen your football and your basketball [teams] send criminals out there, and they were a poor representation of your student body,” Arteno said. “Pedro is a poor representation of your student body.”

Arteno was followed by Clovis resident Cindy Machado, who objected to the pejoratives that have been directed at O’Brien.

“What’s legal is legal, and what’s illegal is illegal,” Machado said. “Why aren’t you focusing on becoming a citizen?” she asked Ramirez. “I’m tired of being the guilty party and you being the victim.”

The student senate’s bylaws state that Ramirez or Sanchez can only be removed from office if one or the other were to miss three or more senate or executive officer meetings in one semester, or if their grades or conduct fall below school standards.

Fresno State student senate attorneys will evaluate the ACLU’s accusation.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Santa Monica attorneyNov 21, 2011 at 8:41 am

I commend the writer of this article for pointing out both sides of the issue. Moreover, I agree to what the third anonymous commenter has stated. If Ramirez is already dragging the name of Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) he should really step down; further his eye injury could also be a crucial reason for him to leave the office. Discrimination is out of context here, what really matters would be the situation at hand.

• AnonymousFeb 1, 2011 at 7:58 am

I think Neal needs to just leave pedro alone . He seems obessed . Pedro you need to file a restraining order on this guy . I think you guys should just let him finish his office term . I bet half of you didnt even know was the ASI was before you started to take sides on the issue .

• AnonymousJan 30, 2011 at 11:34 am

I supported Pedro, but it’s time for him to resign. I admire him for taking a stand, but he’s now dragging the school, the students, and even Fresno’s image through the mud. By his own admission he’s in the country illegally and didn’t disclose that when running for office. He said he was law abiding, but then we find out that he’s illegally registered to vote even after he said he wasn’t. I know it’s not Pedro’s fault that he was brought here as a child, but he knew it was illegal to register to vote yet he did it anyway. If a politician isn’t even going to respect voting laws, how can we trust him to respect any other laws?

Even if I could overlook all that, I can’t stop thinking about the racist comment he posted on his own website. If you haven’t seen it you need to go look at it. It’s obviously from his own site even though some say it must have been fabricated. Obviously, it’s not. If anyone were to say about blacks or Latinos what Pedro said about Americans, I would be just as upset. No one accidentally says such things. Though I realize he may have valid reasons for his anger, it does not justify racism. Pedro declared his superiority and promised revenge against the race he thinks wronged him. Why are we overlooking such racism? Is it because he’s a liberal? We wouldn’t tolerate this from a conservative, so we shouldn’t tolerate it from one of our own.

Pedro, please step down. You are disgracing all of us now. Please, do the right thing. I wish you the best and hope that you get your health and immigration issues straightened out, but please don’t continue to put us all through this.

DerailAmnesty.comJan 30, 2011 at 8:49 am

This is ongoing nonsense. The school’s administration should have done something about this recidivist criminal weeks ago. Toss this kid already or at least pressure him to disappear quietly. He doesn’t even have a legal right to reside in the country where the campus is located.

• AnonymousJan 30, 2011 at 5:16 am

Great article! I hope Pedro and Dr Welty will follow the great example set by Ms Cyndee Fontana from the Fresno Bee and RESIGN once and for all