Statement from Selena Farnesi

This university’s­student newspaper recently ran an article in which a certain group of students, Smittcamp Honors College students, were identified and marginalized.­ The article claimed in no uncertain terms that the Smittcamp­Honors College was a demonstration of institutionalized racism and that the scholarship program did not mimic the diversity of our University.

Recently, we’ve heard the word “diversity” used a lot.­ It seems to me­that the students of Fresno State hold diversity as a positive attribute to the college experience and a vessel for tolerance and acceptance.­ It seems to me­that the students of Fresno State believe that all people, despite their differences, deserve to be treated equally. That, my fellow students, is exactly what Smittcamp does.

To quote a great leader, a champion in our valley’s history and a role model for so many of our students, Cesar Chavez once said, “Preservation of one’s own culture does not require contempt or disrespect for other cultures.” I very firmly believe that this statement is true.­ Your ASI very firmly believes this statement is true.­ And this student government pledges to support all students.­ It matters not how you got here, or how you stay here; loans, scholarships, grants — it doesn’t make you less of a student, it doesn’t negate your right to a positive college experience, and it certainly doesn’t give any other group of individuals the right to treat you with contempt or disrespect.

No student, absolutely no student, should ever feel less than welcomed on this campus.­ Beyond that no entity, particularly no entity run on student fees, should ever be the source of such a negative feeling.­ And certainly, any display of the contrary would not, could not, honor diversity. To be diverse, does not mean we must also be divided.­­ It is my hope that all organizations on campus uphold standards that respect all students.

Selena Farnesi

ASI Executive Vice-President

ASI is a body of elected student representatives that encourages student involvement in campus-wide decisions and funds student programs. As the student government we ensure that students’ rights are protected and their voices are heard.

###

$100
$500

$100
$500

Bendere DundatDec 11, 2010 at 5:43 am

Yes Thank you Selena, You have done am honorable job representing all students and making the best and reaching out to us! Your great videos made, starring and produced by you are a great example to how our ASI should be representing us!

Here is one of those great videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXcz7mRVVsI

• AnonymousDec 11, 2010 at 1:20 am

Latinos have no problem when it comes to their representation on our campus, but there are certain Latino students who want to go back to the days before Proposition 209 became law – back to the days of accepting less-qualified minorities for admissions and scholarships simply for the sake of “diversity,” over students of other races and ethnicities who were better qualified.

Diversity per se adds nothing to the educational experience if those who “diversify” the student body did not 1) Earn their way in through grades and test scores, or 2) Have exceptional athletic talents.

The minority group who has made the most positive impression on me since I came to Fresno State are Hmong students. They earn their way into our school, so they don’t have to join the whiners club like another group does whenever things aren’t handed to them on a silver platter.

• AnonymousDec 11, 2010 at 1:20 am

Thank you Selena!